This is what I feel like I need at church.
It looks like a Mary Poppins bag.
I have been hauling children to church services for 6 years now and I still haven't found the perfect solution.
I sometimes carry one bag with everything for me and the kids. Sometimes a diaper bag, a purse, and a kids bag. Sometimes stuff baby needs in kids bag or my purse.
I'm sort-of a mean mom when it comes to what I'll let my kiddos bring into church.
No food or drink, unless you are under 18 months(it's only an hour, we just ate breakfast and if you are 18 months old you get a snack in nursery.)
Only one toy, if you are under 4, and they obviously have to be quiet and small.
I push for books and paper/coloring book with crayons or pencils, preferable gospel oriented.
I do not entertain you(usually) after you are about 2 years old.
In my defense, it's only an hour that they need to be entertained and heaven forbid they pay attention to what it being said.
I am there to learn, be edified and feel the Spirit.
Granted, I'm no fool, I know that doesn't always pan-out that way and I adjust.
Our kids have done really well with our rules on what goes in the bag, but I'm always looking for a new idea that I may not have thought about.
Blasen no longer sits with our family during the sacrament services. He has recently been asked to serve with the bishop of our ward as his 2nd counselor. So I fly solo on Sundays and I need to make sure I've got my stuff together.
So what kind of bag do you use? How many?
Did you make or buy your bag?
What are some quiet distractions you use with your kids?
Do you have some extra hands I can borrow?
5 comments:
I just made one for Izzy for her to carry her own stuff. Make a bag for the kids that they are responsible for their own belongings.
Of course, mine are much older, but they carry their own stuff and have for a while. I'm not their pack mule. I must be really mean because I never allowed toys at all! Somehow they always found a way to make even the "quiet" toys noisy. And NEVER food! It drives me crazy to see people with food in the chapel. Plus, I'd rather not have the habit than try to break it.
PS, I really want that bag!
OK, I have a massive Vera Bradley bag that my mom got me for Christmas last year. For a while it was PACKED and it weighed a ton. It got a little out of control with all the options... my kids would do something for 5 minutes then push it aside and dive in my bag for something else. SO! I knew I had to change something...so for the past few months now I bring two books that I change it up every week. They do books before the sacrament. Then for after--I do a really simple snack bag for each kid. And each kid gets ONE notebook and there's a box of crayons and a case of markers. That's it! and I keep a little stash of candy hidden for desperate measures. But, it is working really well right now. You have 4, I only have 3 and your husband isn't with you!! yikes. I agree with what you wrote... no better ideas from me.
Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll go for the "everyone have your own bag" as each gets older. I know I'll just have to carry them myself. I've been getting in the habit of just dropping my bag off in the car after sacrament meeting.
Yes, Jennie, that bag is awesome.
I fully agree with no snacks after 18 mths and trying to limit that as much as you can. When the kids were old enough to carry their on Bom then they got some sort of backpack with rope strings or a hand bag. This doesn't always work with jackets and coats and other things, but each has their own notebook and pencil. I usually try to stay away from crayons bc they are more hassle of arguing for colors and things than helping. The rule is they get nothing til after the sacrament, they can be still that long, then they are allowed their notebook. Sometimes we used the conference bingos, but mom would have to play and keep an eye out for cheaters, so that is rare. Since you are alone, remember there is always some to watch them if they understand your rules of no entertaining them, just correction and praise of their drawings. Good luck, they are only young for a short time, but yes it feels like it iis a long crazy time. Choose one idea and stick with it, don't confuse them. Good luck.
Post a Comment