A friend and I had a conversation about this not too long ago. She's been doing a lot of thinking and searching lately and has been urged to find that "thing" that defines her or makes her happy. And when she gave the answer of being wife and mother, she was basically told "wrong answer" by many around her. I felt really bad...but mostly angry. I am extremely grateful that I am able to stay at home with our children and be a wife and mother full-time. After Bliss was born, I was very nervous how that transition was going to happen. I had always worked and sometimes several jobs at once. When I had Bliss, I went from 3 jobs, to staying at home.
I've always been grateful for Blasen's hard work and our forethought and planning that has made this life possible for our family. Over the years, I've come to realize what a blessing this is...truly. We are in our own little world here at home. If we want to stay in our pajamas most of the day we can. If we want to get up and go to the gym, then the park, then the library...we can. It allows me many freedoms also. If I want to read, I read(granted it may be interrupted quite often). If I want to focus on baking or sewing or refinishing furniture or genealogy or blogging or whatever...I can. Some days, obviously, go better than others...that's a given. I never liked being stuck doing one thing for very long and I was always afraid of what I should choose as my career path. People start asking what you want to do with your life when you're still in elementary school. And you know what? No one ever told me that I could have so many options in being a mother. Not only do I get to seek out and develop new and old interests, but on the way, I get to watch and participate in my children growing and learning...and fussing and fighting, but that's just part of it. (And as a side note: I do not look forward to school and extracurricular activities interfering with our life starting next year. We are relishing this freedom now.)
Now that being said...not everyone thinks/feels like me or their situation doesn't allow for it. Whatever...that's fine with me. Just don't think that I can't be fulfilled being a wife and mother or more specifically don't make my dear, sweet friend feel that way.
Do you get what I'm trying to say? "Don't box me in!" Okay?! Wife and mother is different for every single wife and mother out in this world. There are definitely constants in the whole wife/mother job...like children for example, but pretty much everything else is adaptable to your family. It's beautiful really and fits me to a T. So, a big "thank you" to God for allowing me motherhood...it's my perfect career.
3 comments:
I totally agree! School hasn't been too bad. It's really neat to see them come home and have so much to tell you! Seeing their eyes light up those first few years of school is great! I'm sure it won't last but it's really cool to watch them learn even more!
Also, Brett asked the other day when Bliss was moving here! It was sweet, he mises his buddy!
Amen, and amen! I certainly have my days when I think how nice it would be to have a reason to get in nice clothes and do my hair and wear make-up and have grown up conversations for a majority of my day, and to not have to break up arguments over toys and wipe snotty noses. But thankfully for me, those days are few and far between. I've been contemplating my purpose on Earth a lot since Mark's death and have shared that I fully believe I am fulfilling my purpose right now by staying home with my children. Maybe later in life, after my kids are grown, the Lord will direct me down another path with another purpose to fulfill. But then I'll be a grandmother and will want to serve a mission with David, and then I won't have time to contemplate any other purposes!
This is the only life I've ever wanted, and while it's hard sometimes, it's still the life I'm happy to have.
And like we've talked about, do relish this last year before Bliss is in school. It's a whole different world once they start!
AMEN SISTA!!
Post a Comment