I've been wanting to write out my favorite season for a whole week now...but Bliss is a better subject. Fall is here finally. It doesn't seem to mean much here. It's still bloomin' hot out and there are no changing colors. I always wanted to be married this time of year, but Blasen said it was a no go for us. So, last year I was able to live vicariously thru my sister Lacy in helping her plan her fall themed wedding. Blasen does not feel the same about this time of year as I do. The only thing he enjoys is football and that rugby has started back up. He sees it as a sign of death and the unwanted cold that will follow. He loves the summer and all the heat. I guess I understand considering he grew up in Wyoming and never desires to live where it snows ever again.Moving on with my original thought...
I love Fall for many reasons. I too love that football has returned and will have it playing in the background even if Blasen isn't around. I love the crisp mornings and cooler afternoons. I love the smell of Fall. Here is a point where Blasen thinks I'm crazy as I was once trying to explain why the Fall is so wonderful. Fall has a smell...he says it's death, but I disagree. I've never been able to figure it out. But the times I can identify it most is when you leave your windows open all day and you get home in the evening and it smells cool/crisp/fallish. I don't know how to describe it really. I love all the changing colors. One year some friends and my parents went up to Gatlinburg on the Bama/Tennessee game weekend. We drove thru a portion of the park and it was absolutely beautiful. All the colors! Two years ago, I was in Utah and got to see all the aspens changing colors and that too was beautiful. And I loved the plant they call "the burning bush". Not sure the official name, but they turn this amazing deep red color. So many wonderful colors! Of course all my favorite holidays are during the Fall. Halloween, the official day you can dress up and ask people for candy. Two of my favorite things...dress-up and candy! Thanksgiving, the official day to eat everything in sight, then lay around, and spend time with family. I love my mother's dressing. The best is making turkey, dressing, and cranberry sauce sandwiches on leftover rolls. Yum, Yum. I also love making my contribution...Sweet Potato Hash. I was introduced to the recipe by our friend/chef/ex-felon neighbor friend TJ. He was an amazing cook. I promise, if you don't like sweet potatoes, you will eat this anyway. It's so good! Then there's the Christmas preparations. In our neighborhood in Decatur, we really enjoyed seeing everyone decorate last year. It's a big deal. They have contest and everything. Since it's an historic district they sort-of go old school with the fruit and live greenery. It's so neat and Bliss and I loved walking around seeing everything. Can't forget the non-stop Christmas music being played on the radio. Just wish they'd expand their playlist. I just always love the decorating and making goodies for everyone. And then it's soup time again when it gets cooler. And nothings better than Potato Soup(recipe from Jeni's mom) and some homemade Focacia bread. That's a favorite meal of the entire family. Carving pumpkins is fun too. Have to save and clean the seeds for Blasen and Bliss to cook in butter and salt to eat. What else? There is just so much. I always love getting my Southern Living magazine this time of year...so much good stuff.
Blasen and I talked about how much we're missing, but we're glad too that we're having this experience. We're over the hump and looking forward to all the fun adventures that lie ahead. I look forward to decorating for Christmas...picking out that Christmas tree...Blasen putting up lights outside that don't quite fit in with the neighbors, but oh well, the kids love them.
Now I've got to stop because I'm making myself homesick. There's my ode to the Fall...the most wonderful time of the year.
5 comments:
I'm right there with you. Danny too, thinks I'm crazy for saying Fall has a smell. But I swear it does! Also, I was born in Fall and wanted a Fall wedding. I loved helping Lacy with hers. We miss you too and are on the countdown. Love, you!
Aww, Sara. I could have written this post...it's exactly how I feel! BTW, I need that sweet potato hash recipe from TJ. It surprises me not at all that he would be good at making something with "hash" in the title. I wonder where he is today. He was crazy! Do you remember when he made us that HUGE bowl of homeade alfredo sauce? We ate off that for like, two weeks? Anyway, one of my favorite fall memories was the day you, me, and Lacy blew off school one day in October and we watched Dawson's Creek reruns, carved our pumpkin and baked all day...with the windows open and our little apt. smelling like fall. And, yes, you're right. It does have a "smell". Hopefully you'll never have to miss another fall season! But you're right; this is an amazing opportunity for you all~! You'll be home before you know it!
I can always tell fall is here by the afternoon light. It is golden and slants just so across the backyard. It is hard to describe by when I see it my mind always recognizes it as "fall." Sorry that you aren't here. BTW stay away from the milk candy. Apparently, the Chinese milk candy imported to America had mylar in it too!
Fall and our latest cool snap couldn't have come at a better time for me - big preggo who has started having honest to goodness pregnant lady hot flashes :-D
Speaking of fall and traditions: Do you get to vote absentee in the election? I hope you do. I think it's a good lesson for the boys to see our Republic in action...no matter who you vote for ;-)
And thanks so much for making me hungry for a big bowl of alfredo, Jeni...
I've been absolutely ITCHING to start baking anything with "pumpkin" in it. Bread, dips, soups... I want it all! I want the house to smell like nutmeg and cinnamon and to be able to turn the heat down because the oven is on. And to walk outside and smell people's fires burning...yum! I can't wait for you to get back where you can bake, because that is what I would miss most!
I agree, we had this discussion last Fall with Blasen about the smell. I love it too! I think all Fords love this time of year. It's the one time of year we all get to see each other and eat and be merry!! I can't wait to see you guys again! Love you!
Post a Comment