Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Eating in China

My kitchen, as I'll show you in an upcoming blog, is really small. That is to add on to the fact that I have to familiarize myself with the local fare before I can really cook on a regular basis. Besides these two facts...everything is so cheap. Our family can eat a good, well-rounded meal for about $6 US. I'm not sure what exactly I spent on each meal back home, I haven't thought that much about it, but I'm sure it's close. Then you add the fact that someone else prepares it for you...it's a way better deal to me. So, we eat dinner out every night. For breakfast, Blasen will run to the bakery and get us all something and pays less than $1US. It's just better that way. Except for Bliss, of course, he has to be difficult. I can find him US cereal for about the same price I pay there.
We took the boys to a market on Saturday morning too. Bliss thinks it's more a zoo than a market. He doesn't realize that those cute ducks, turtles, and frogs are going to be someone's dinner or lunch. Bliss loves seeing all the fish and snakes at the local stores.
I just have to mention something before I forget. I've mentioned to some before that diapers are just starting to catch on here in China. You can buy them for about the same you would pay in the States. The other day, however, I saw this young couple with a small baby and they had put the diaper on over her onesie. Whatever works, huh?

Zade enjoying his favorite custard tarts for breakfast.
No highchair for Zade...he's in heaven.

Up close of custard tart.

5 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

Sara! That is all so cool! I wish we could come visit you... and don't you love hearing your hubbie speak Chinese all the time? Hot! Well, maybe you did before. Anyway. This will be such a special time for your family!

Rachael M. said...

Boo - the pictures are not showing up for me :-(

I think that would be my biggest nightmare: A shop full of live animals to choose my dinner from. I don't want to do it with a lobster tank, and I definitely wouldn't want to do it for my chicken dinner!

Jennie said...

A cleaning lady ans no cooking! What the heck? I didn't realize you were going on a 5 month vacation, ;). I'm so jealous. Seriously, I'm glad that everyone is adjusting and having a great time thus far.

Emily said...

That is awesome about the price of food. Let me know when you do cook I'm curious to know what it will be and how you got it. Maybe, Bliss will name it before you eat it...remember Jed? Mmmmmm!

Jeni said...

So let me get this straight...you don't have to clean your apt AND you get to eat out every night?? Sweet! I wanna move to China! It's going to be like a five month vacation!