There is a branch of the church here nearby. It's in Guangzhou about 45 min away. It's an international branch and is sort of small. Due to the laws of China, there is obviously no proselyting done by the church. Right now a lot of people are back in the States for the summer, so we only have 2 hours of meeting instead of the normal 3. That's nice. If you've ever traveled by any other means than personal car, you know you have to figure in waiting time, etc. It took us 2 hours to get there and it's just about 45 mins away. We took a taxi to the local bus station, stood in a mass of people(the Chinese don't believe in standing in line) to get tickets, caught a bus for Guangzhou, then another taxi to the church. Guangzhou has a population of around 8 million, I believe. And at that bus station it sure felt like there were about a million there.
We finally get there, tired and sweaty. I've failed to mention that it's like the dang rain forest here. I thought I knew humidity in Alabama...no way. The first day we go out and it feels like stepping into a sauna. My hair had gone limp and somewhat frizzy. Forget about the hard work of rollers and makeup. I wore flip-flops for the travel and put my heels on outside the door of the church. The church actually meets in an apartment building. The kids seemed to be extra loud in the small room with about 20 other people. Bliss was the only one in nursery, so I stuck Zade in there too. That was a plus. Then it was back to the taxi, bus, taxi ride. Oh, also, the Chinese don't buy seat tickets for kids, they just plan on doubleing up. So the bus gets packed, but thankfully there is A/C.
We arrive home that afternoon wondering if all that was worth the effort. I guess people have to travel further in some places. We're just blessed that we can afford it.
3 comments:
I'm glad you commented about church. I was going to ask about this...are there Chinese people too or is it just a bunch of white American businessman?? :)
Oh, and do they speak English at church for the talks and sacrament and stuff?
wow, makes our little trek to greensboro seem like nothing. not that is really strenuous or anything but anyways, thanks for posting pics!!!
Post a Comment