Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Life with Paparazzi

Yes, we are famous here. You think I'm joking, but I'm not. Even though this city is 3 million strong, there are very few Americans/Caucasians here...ever. So the locals may occasionally see the lone American business man, but never American children. Blasen warned me that people would love our children....seriously though. For example, Saturday we went out to do some exploring and shopping. We went to this large shopping mall and decided to grab lunch. We had a random waiter come up and take his picture with Bliss, then a table next to us was taking pictures with their phones.
It's like this every time we go out. People will stop and talk to the kids. Or when I was at the pool Saturday with Bliss, this lady and two kids just stood at the side of the pool and stared at us. I didn't really know what to do, but carry on with swimming. It's hilarious. We went to Wal-Mart (yes there's a new Wal-Mart here) and there were tons of people coming up to us. It probably took twice as long to get thru there normally. Bliss even got lost...my nightmare came true. He ran away from me and I thought I saw which way he turned, but I couldn't find him. We had like 10 Chinese ladies looking for him. So, anytime we go out it's sort of an ordeal.
I went out without Blasen the other day for the first time. I was really nervous because I was already by myself at the pool on Saturday for a little bit and the girl working there was trying to tell me something and I had no idea what she was saying. She would just say it over and over again, getting louder and slower as she went. Needless to say, I didn't understand her regardless how loud or slow she spoke. It was so funny being in this role reversal of sorts. So, anyway, I went to the grocery store just below us and all went okay. I'll survive this place after all.

2 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

Oh, I love it. I went to China to teach English for a while and I totally remember everyone just staring at us and taking pictures! But I am sure they LOVE your little boys!

Rachael M. said...

LOL - I thought they would all think you were all part or half Asian, anyway.

How weird, but in a kind of fun way :-D

Just pretend you're Angelina Jolie for the next 4.5 months. LOL