Friday, April 10, 2015

Sias and his story




We have a new addition to the family. We welcomed Sias Pratt to our family on March 9th. 
He waited to his exact due date...no sooner, no later...to enter this world. And once it all began, we were on a roll. He waits for no one apparently. I arrived at the hospital having contractions about 7-10 minutes apart and thought I still had a ways to go. Once the nurse checked me and informed me I was already 8cm dilated, I believe I said "Yes!" and may have thrown in a fist pump. I just didn't look forward to extreme amounts of pain. I just passed a healthy sized kidney stone two weeks before and felt I had endured my fair share of pain for the year. The nurse called the doctor and he was on his way and they would wait to break my water until he arrived. The doctor got there about 15 minutes later and contractions were getting closer and more intense. I knew as soon as my water broke we would have a baby within minutes...judging on past deliveries. The doctor came in and checked me, still 8cm, and broke my water. He and the nurse leave me to labor in peace and say just call us when you are ready to push. With the very next contraction I felt the urge to push at the very end of the contraction. I thought I was imagining it since it was at the very end of the contraction and told myself "I'll just wait until the next contraction and see." Big mistake! The next contraction was very close and I was definitely ready to push. I frantically tell Blasen and he pushes the nurse call bell....and no response. This baby was coming and coming quickly. He tries again...nothing. I tell him to go and find someone. He runs out in the hall to find the nurse and I feel the baby crowning. Blasen finds the nurse and doctor and runs back in to the room just in time for me to tell him that the baby is out and I need his help. Sure enough Blasen pulls back the blanket and Sias's head is out and Blasen helps deliver the rest of him. The doctor gets there and does the rest. Sias weighed in at 7lbs 10oz and was 20.5in long. I thought he would be bigger since he was born on his due date. He falls right in there with his siblings on size though. And amazingly, to us at least, he has his own look. You can tell he belongs in our family but has his own unique characteristics. That's the miraculous part about genetics...you think there were only so many variations of your genes, but it's endless. 

In moments like these time seems to go on forever. I look up to the clock that is on the wall right in front of me and realize that not even ten minutes has passed since the doctor was in there breaking my water! Crazy! 


Now we have this cute little guy with us and the only evidence that he came so quickly is the scratch on the end of his nose. He is such a blessing to our family. The joy and excitement that comes into our home when welcoming a new family member just can't be replicated. We all love him so much and just can't get enough. 



post signature

No comments: