As I've pondered over what I wanted to improve upon for this new year, I decided the list could likely stay the same as last year...and likely the year before that too. So still lots of work to do until I reach perfection. I know you're all surprised!
One thing I want to focus on this year is HOME. I want to make our home a place away from the world, a place of learning the gospel of Jesus Christ as well as a center for learning all things, a place to have fun and feel loved, a place you want to be.
We've sung along with this song for months now and I relate to it, as I'm sure many do.
My second focus for this year is this scripture...
“The Savior said, ‘Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. … Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid’ (John 14:27).
I've never thought of this scripture being a commandment until this Sunday when we were read this quote from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland in Sunday School.
“I submit to you, that may be one of the Savior’s commandments that is, even in the hearts of otherwise faithful Latter-day Saints, almost universally disobeyed; and yet I wonder whether our resistance to this invitation could be any more grievous to the Lord’s merciful heart. I can tell you this as a parent: as concerned as I would be if somewhere in their lives one of my children were seriously troubled or unhappy or disobedient, nevertheless I would be infinitely more devastated if I felt that at such a time that child could not trust me to help or thought his or her interest was unimportant to me or unsafe in my care. In that same spirit, I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not feel confident in his care or secure in his hands or trust in his commandments” (“Come unto Me,” Ensign, Apr. 1998, 19)
That grabbed my attention. How much work I have to do! I decided then and there I would be working on this this year. I need to worry less and trust more. He's told me countless times it's all going to work out. I need to do my part so He can do His.
1 comment:
I LOVE that song by Phillip Phillips. And I read a talk in the last conference edition of the Ensign last night by Elder Perry that resonated with your post..the one about protecting our children. Good resolutions to be sure! I have set none. I guess I should at some point before January is over...
Post a Comment