Saturday, July 21, 2012

How Do You Store Your Patterns?


This is how I store mine and I know my sister Jennie does. My mother kept her patterns this way too. I remember when we were little and some doctor's office was cleaning out files and somehow my mother got a hold of all those manila folders. She recruited us girls to get all her patterns into those folders.
We'd cut the pattern envelope down the side and bottom, staple them to the folder, then stuff the folder(now a pocket) with the pattern pieces and instructions.
Now I don't know if my mother came up with this idea herself(which she has always been very resourceful and creative that way) or saw it somewhere, but I've always thought it was a great idea. Those pattern envelopes just wear out after awhile and you can never fit everything back in there after you've used it once.


I keep mine in a file box. But you could use a filing cabinet or, like my mother, old drink crates...they are the perfect size.
I have my patterns grouped together, but I need to put in some kind of dividers between the sections. That's my next step to this on-going project.
I've had a pile of patterns that didn't have a folder yet and Isla helped me one afternoon organize everything...just like I helped my mother.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I clearly remember that project. I'm not sure, either, if Mom came up with the design or saw it somewhere. What are you going to use for dividers? Maybe foam core or stiff cardboard? You could even cover it with pretty contact paper. I have a few "unconverted" patterns and need some more folders. I'll put K on the hunt! :)