Wednesday, February 15, 2012

An OJ Debriefing

Have you ever seen those Florida Orange Juice commercials where the mom(there are several others that includes a dad and a kid) gets the "debriefing" of her day while she's having her OJ?
I seriously, seriously (as Zade would say) wish I could have that some days.
I've learned as a mother that some days you accomplish a world of things, everything is flowing just nicely. For example, I may get up, breakfast for everyone, get Bliss and Blasen off to school and work, start the laundry, plan my week's menu, clean bathrooms, Kipp down for nap, scriptures read, vacuum the house, get in a pilates class, run a few errands to get what I don't have for week's menu, pick-up Bliss from school, Kipp down for nap, finish up laundry, make what I call a "real" dinner, clean kitchen, bathe children, clean up toys, kids to bed with teeth brushed, scriptures read and prayers said, fold laundry, maybe hop on computer and post a blog while "watching" TV with Blasen, read a few pages of a book, then get in bed.
Seriously, that has happened in a day. I know we all have them...days where it all clicks and we give thanks to the Lord and pray that every day could be so productive.
But it's just not reality. Some days go like this: get up a little late, Blasen has already left on a flight at 5:30 and his blaring alarm woke you both up at 4:00(some little fingers cruelly turned up the volume), everyone up and getting ready for trip to the dentist, breakfast in a hurry, children crying because they want to watch TV instead of getting dressed, remember to start laundry, get to dentist by 8:30, Kipp asleep in carseat, everyone cooperates at dentist, Bliss has small cavity, run by house to pick-up Bliss's lunch b/c you forgot to make it that morning, take Bliss to school, run by store to pick-up bread and bananas and fluoride rinse for kid w/cavity, wild children accompany you into the store (Kipp still asleep in carseat...what?), rowdy, disobedient children tip over shopping cart while checking out(thankfully Kipp was in carseat down in the basket of the cart and Isla got out of the way, however, Zade has a nasty bruise on his leg), set cart upright, pick-up now smooshed groceries that I just paid for and a very startled Kipp, leave store mortified unsure if ever able to return and if I gave the little ol' check-out lady a heart attack, go home and lose balloons from dentist within 4 seconds of getting out of van, feed crying kids lunch, go to pilates, Kipp down for nap, go pick-up Bliss, make Valentine cookies for Bliss's party, make dinner, get baths and scriptures and prayers(don't think I didn't give thanks for our protection with the shopping cart incident...it could have gone really bad) with everyone crying and flying accusations of ruining lives and such, everyone in bed with a small minutia of patience left and I remember I forgot the laundry, so I start the laundry back up while I wait for my husband to get home from his late flight.
Sigh...so, I need a debriefing each morning over my OJ. It sure would be nice for a head's up every once in awhile, a small "oh by the way" child #1 will stick a rock up his nose and ruin any plans you had for the next week(seriously happened to my friend), or child #3 will decide to wet her pants at the gym and you don't have any extra anything in the car, or child #2 will throw-up on his brother's head, in the car, while out of town, which will begin a chain reaction of vomiting by everyone over the next 5 days of your very pregnant life while your husband is out of the country and you have a scheduled Open House for your home the next day. You know something along those lines.
And sometimes, my stubborn self is determined to have a scenario #1 day and keep getting up knock down after knock down....sort-of the "oh that's only a flesh wound" mentality, until it all falls apart and I surrender and call Blasen to pick-up the pizza I ordered for dinner. I just call it good until the next day.
But wouldn't it be nice if you had a restart button...like on your computer? Program frozen...just restart. Day falling apart...just press restart.
It's the really smooth days that keep us going through the rough ones...or at least it does me.
I just need an OJ debriefing...all I'm saying.

4 comments:

tracyp said...

I hear you... on a smaller scale. Although I have never wanted a reset button...just a fast forward button. On the off chance the reset doesn't work, like on my old computer, it would get stuck doing the same thing. I just want out of the day.

Hope you're OJ speaks to you tomorrow!

Jennie said...

Yes, restart would be good. Even if just for the days you're too lazy first thing and need a do over. Like me, today.

Tracy said...

Sara, your post made me laugh my head off due to the fact that I had that kind of day unfortunately scenario #2 and flying solo. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Tracy Alder

nowellmama said...

Oh the joys of motherhood. Didn't we know all this would happen,yet we signed up for it anyways. Life happens, shake it off, make a goal and stick too it. Nothing will happen without a schedule and schedules can be broken. The cart thing happened to me too, all were ok, just shaken and one managed to jump for it safely. In the end always say I choose motherhood, and am doing a dang fine job. Maybe not perfect, but we are all hanging in there. Wait until you get a phone call from the school saying your child is taking an ambulance to the hospital...etc. Hopefully not, but things will happen and we will smile and joke and cry and learn. Remember to smile and hug and kiss goodnight. lol.