Thursday, November 3, 2011

Red Doors

Source: google.com via Jillian on Pinterest

Is it any surprise that I love red doors? No. I like lots of other colors, but red has been my favorite and go to color for years. There is something red in every room of our house. So for sure there was great disappointment when I realized that we were going to paint our house after all.
Here's some back story...when we moved into our house it(the house) was a hunter green color with cream and burgundy trim. Blegh. Actually, I sort of like those colors all individually, but they did not look good on our house. Blasen was against painting the house at all. Granted it is an expensive and time consuming job, all that scraping and grinding and sanding and priming and painting three different colors. I resolved that we wouldn't paint and began the laborious task of refinishing our 100 year old front door. It had layers and layers of paint and stain. After working on it, on and off, for 2 years and likely giving myself lead poisoning I was done. Then, low and behold, we're getting the house painted. We had it painted a dark gray with white and black trim...perfect for a red door. But then I remembered all that scraping and sanding and burning myself with the heat gun(I still have scars) and I decided against it.
THEN, this week our neighbor painted her door red. And I turned green...with envy...because my front door would be a marvelous, no, spectaular red door. But I just look at her natural beauty, sans lipstick, rub my burn scars and walk on inside.

3 comments:

nowellmama said...

I have red door envy too. That is when it acutally goes with the rest of the house. I doubt it will happen in the next couple of months when we actually finally possibly buy a house, but I can dream. Will settle for red accents all around the house, like the red mat, or red kettle, or red pillows and curtains, and..just kiddn. Good luck. I thought yal had it sold a while a go? Oh well. Good luck! Still suggest the 123 magic parenting book by ? and 5 love languages by chapman book if when you are in the library.

Kathleen said...

Those scars are your battle wounds. I would be proud to keep my door au naturel if I had the stories to tell that you do! That said, I can understand this case of envy and the temptation to paint yours (painfully) again.

Emily said...

So Danny and I think you should just stay where you are and we'll all live near each other! LOL So you'll have time to change your mind! Just kidding...we love you guys and I don't blame you for not wanting to paint it!