Friday, October 21, 2011

Fab Cupcakes

I was playing in Photoshop and I made this bad picture worse...whatever.
Regardless of the picture quality these cupcakes are FABULOUS. We saw these cute cupcakes Bliss called "phantom cupcakes" and he wanted to make some.
image source
We used the cake recipe for this Chocolate Snickers Cake. (I seriously want to make this)

Cake:
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1 small package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix and bake following box instructions. 


For the frosting I used my mother's Fluffy Frosting...the one she uses for her coconut cake. To me, it reminds me of marshmallows. 


Frosting
2 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
4 egg whites (3/4cup)
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine sugar, cream of tartar, salt in saucepan with water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and cool until small amount forms a hard ball. Place egg whites in small mixing bowl and beat at high speed until stiff but not dry. Add vanilla and gradually add syrup mixture while beating at medium to high speed or until stiff peaks form. (About 5 minutes) This does best when prepared on a dry, not so humid day. 


Since I'm in this almond extract kick, I substituted the vanilla for almond. My only warning is that it was sort-of strong in the frosting, so next time I would use less than the suggested amount. I piped the frosting on to the cupcakes with a large tip...which always works great. Then I started to eat them and haven't stopped. 
I wanted to share them with you so you can make them and eat them as well, so I won't feel so bad about eating as many as I have. 

No comments: