Friday, September 9, 2011

Perfect Storm: Part 2

Did you ever think I'd get to the other parts of my "perfect storm"? I've got the other parts getting written up, so as to document my miraculous survival. (I know, I know...this is typical mommyhood, right?) This is part 2: Kid's Market.
Twice a year there is a large children's consignment sale in Hunstville. (You don't consign your children, unfortunately...only their clothing, etc.) I actually started thinking about it a month or so ago and had Blasen drag these boxes down for me to dig through. I rotate out clothing, selling and buying each season, and hanging on to the pieces I really like. I like this method because 1)I don't take up so much space with children's clothing and 2)I have money to buy clothes for those I don't have hand me downs for. For example, Bliss is the oldest and the older your child gets, the less "stuff" you get handed down from others. I usually never have to shop for Zade and Kipp's the same. I may have to supplement Kipp's winter wardrobe a bit because of the size and season issue. Isla has pratically nothing...the same as Bliss.
To prepare, I go through the clothes we have, select ones we want to sell, wash, hang, and label. I've been working on this all week. I haven't gone to the gym or really even left the house. It's been a disaster around here and some days are better than others. You never know how needy your children are going to be from day to day. There was also roll-over clean-up from last weeks portion of this storm that I had to deal with. Yesterday I got a big chunk done and feel like I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I guess I best be finishing up since drop-off begins tomorrow. Well, early drop-off started this week, which is what I normally do, but that was a no-go as I was nowhere near ready. So, tomorrow morning I'll go brave the masses and hopefully get a priority shopping number so I can shop early.
This is where I am now...
I have piles everywhere. Now I just have to label and price everything. It should go pretty quickly since I have clothes on hangers and shoes zip-tied together. Thankfully tomorrow's high is only in the low 80's...I really don't know how to handle this nice weather.
If you don't do consignment sales you should honestly consider it. It's a little time consuming but well worth it. You'll feel organized and thrifty once it's all over. Consignment sales are all over the place, find one in your area. The down side is that they are becoming more popular so sometimes it's harder to get your clothing sold. The key is to price it right. I can't stand getting to a sale and finding clothing that is priced way too high. People go looking for a deal not necessarily a steal...so price your clothing accordingly. I don't want to buy a used article of clothing that I can find in the store, brand new on sale for the same price or even a dollar or two more. At the same time don't under price your clothing. Of course, I like to find those pieces that are under priced...like the Pottery Barn dress that looked like it had been worn maybe once that I paid $8 for this past Spring. Make it worth your time. You don't want to be hauling all that stuff back home because it didn't sell. I usually come out about even...meaning the price of what I sell covers what I bought.
I didn't mean to make this a "how to" post. But if you have any questions feel free to ask. I surely have an answer and definitely an opinion for nearly everything.

2 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

Hey lady--good to see you on my blog. I haven't looked at blogs or done anything for so long! I LOVE Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's the only one I read. It's fantastic, good luck! Wish we could get together!

tracyp said...

we don't have anything nearly that cool here.. I wish. I keep saying I'm going garage sale-ing, but I'm always working those weekends. There are supposed to be some awesome places to go (similar to a Hoover type place) but I never seem to make it. One day!