Tonight, while Blasen is out of town, I wanted to get some things off that blog list of mine. We've been burning up the road here this summer...not literally, even though it's been hot enough. On one of the trips to Tuscaloosa this summer, we took the older boys to the Museum of Natural History on the campus of the University of Alabama. For all the years we lived and attended school, I think I walked thru that building maybe one time, only as a short cut because it was raining outside, and I didn't even go to the museum part. Bliss has been wanting to go to a museum and see fossils, so we thought we'd start out small...where we don't need a large attention span. Zade was not super thrilled once he realized that we were not going to the library(Tuscaloosa's is bigger than ours here in Decatur and their grandma always takes them when they visit), but once he saw this he was happy he came.
Basilosaurus cetoides--the state fossil of Alabama
We also saw the Hodges meteorite...the only meteorite to know to have struck a human. It happened in Sylacauga, AL back in 1954. It came through the roof of the house and struck Ms. Hodges, after it deflected off the radio, while she napped on the couch. I guess that's what happens when you try to rest in the afternoon. Thankfully that hasn't happened to me...just my children telling me I don't need to fall asleep as I read them books. Moving on...They also had a mammoth or mastodon skull...can't remember which.
Bliss and Zade loved every minute of it.
The bonuses besides the kids loving it:
1) it takes about 30-45 minutes to go thru...if that
2) it cost $1 for children K-12 and $2 for adults
3) Blasen and I loved looking at all the architectural details in Smith Hall
If you are in Tuscaloosa sometime...you should drop by.



1 comment:
So funny, we took izzy to the museum a couple weeks ago...Mike and I just admired architecture most of the time too.
Post a Comment