Friday, July 22, 2011

Alphabet School

Bliss is starting kindergarten this year...actually in the next few weeks. We went to register this week. The time has flown by since I brought him home from the hospital. Now, almost 6 years and 3 children later, he starts a new chapter in his life. It will be different for us all. I now, must be tied down to a set routine. Not that we didn't have a routine before, but we can't just wake up in the morning and decide that we're going to lay around in our pj's all day. But that's good, because I may get more things done in my day now. So, to get better prepared for our first day....we started "Alphabet School" last week.

Each day we focus on one letter. I found a website that has these great printables for tracing letters. Bliss knows how to copy just fine, so he didn't really need the tracing pages, but I thought the repetition might help him with his recognition of the letters. So far, we've done thru J and my plan is to finish the alphabet the week before school starts. In addition to his alphabet, we're reviewing number recognition, counting, learning to spell our last name(bless him it's long), and memorizing our address and phone number. He's doing good at it all and really enjoys this each day. Now, I lost Zade and Isla about 10 minutes into day one.
Here are some pictures of week one. I collect items that begin with the letter of the day in the hopes that he can associate the sound with the letter recognition.




I'm just glad he's enjoying it. I've been really worried about how he'd do in the school environment that is more of an "educational" philosophy rather than a "developmental" philosophy. He is definitely a child that learns best through play and doing and experimenting rather than direct teaching and worksheets. I'm looking forward to the "Meet the Teacher" night. Before anyone says anything...no, homeschooling is NOT an option. It wouldn't work with our family.
Just wanting to share this idea with you all. It's been fun and successful...so far. I'll start it over with Zade and Isla soon and spend a week on each letter, which is what I originally wanted to do, but never could get my act together.

1 comment:

tracyp said...

Good idea Sara, we've been doing similar stuff but not as in depth. Crazy that in 17 days... by girl is starting kindergarden! I'm looking forward to the slight freedom it offers me and the schedule it will get me on.