Like many other women in this world, I am in LOVE with purses and bags of all sorts. My husband can't complain because he has a grand collection of "vintage" ties...and we won't mention the insanely large amount of t-shirts and button-ups. So we're equal.
That said, I don't think I've ever made a bag/purse for myself. I've made and given many as gifts, but never treated myself. I've been wanting something new for a while, but not wanting to have to buy any new material. I have a very disorderly chifferobe (a entirely different post in and of itself...and believe me, it's coming, I need help) full of fabric and scraps. I thought I had decided on the fabric, then I opened the chifferobe, it vomited all the fabric out and I found something "new". I had forgotten about this lovely green linen-look fabric that I picked up as a thrift store find last summer. I got it in a bag with some other fabric that I think I paid $1 for. Awesome! After I washed the old-lady-mothball smell out them, they've been great. The handles I picked up at Hancock Fabrics out of the clearance bin for $2.
The lining came either from that same thrift store bag or from my sister in her effort to par down her fabric stash. And the pattern is Simplicity 5527 that I've used before, but I just changed the handles to work with my cool black bamboo handles and added additional pockets on the inside. I always need more pockets. The outcome is a nice "springy-ish" bag...exactly what I was going for.
Now I need to find something to embellish it with and make a make-up bag to match. I probably should've come up with the embellishment idea before I put it all together, but I couldn't think of anything. That's what I thought about last night as I lay in bed, unable to fall asleep.
I was able to put this together yesterday in about 2 hours. So, I was really happy. It's always nice to start and finish a project in the same day.
Just as a side note, I used some fusible fleece instead of the suggested felt padding and interfacing. I had it one hand from another project and it worked wonderfully and saved me a few steps. I love that stuff and it's about the same price if you have to buy some felt or other padding material then fuse it with interfacing.
4 comments:
So I don't know if you will like this idea or not, but have you ever seen those pins that have flowers on them. The flowers almost look like what you see on the collar of shirts these days, and the pins are basically broaches. That way too you can change them out. The only bad thing is that it will make some wholes in it. But I thought some black flowers would look so cute on it and go with the handle. Love you and you did an amazing job. I will have to try it out!
i love it! i love the lining. i think all bags need an interesting lining. hmmm.... embellishments... put a bird on it. (have you seen portlandia put a bird on it?)
Love the bag, and your blog name:)
I had not seen the Portlandia...put a bird on it, but that's funny. And even funnier is that I love bird silhouettes.
I've thought of both the flower idea and the bird idea...also, I thought of something ruffly, but I'm not so much a ruffly person.
I'll have to think on it longer and let you know later what I decide on.
Post a Comment