 |
| Yes...fake flowers until I can get some real ones. |
For years I've been pining for some milk glass pieces. I look at thrift stores wherever I go in search from something...anything. Of course, I don't want to pay a ton for them. I recently found a pitcher in the Salvation Army in for $16/$17. I didn't want to spend that much because I wasn't sure if it was worth that. Some pieces and companies are worth more than others and I'm not that educated on all of that yet.

My last day in Sheboygan, I decided to go to the Goodwill here. We stopped by there the first night we were here.(They are actually open until 9:00pm?! I couldn't believe it.) Anyway, I had noticed then that there was 1/2 Mondays, so I figured if we had time we could stop back by. I went with the intentions of finding something for the kids. But instead I found tons of milk glass. This is the place for serving/display ware folks. There are lots of old retired people and obviously when they die their stuff gets donated. I sort-of went overboard. I bought a punch bowl set with stand and the 12 cups, a candy dish/urn piece, a vase, and an ice bucket all for about $16. Blasen found the above wooden bowl that he thought I'd like and I found an actual silver serving tray for $.99...yes 99 cents!
 |
| It cleaned up nicely and is now in the china cabinet on display. |
 |
| The vase |
 |
| Candy dish |
 |
| Ice bucket |
 |
| What I thought was a bowl. |
 |
| But is actually the base to the punch bowl set. |
 |
Picture I found on internet of punch bowl set. This one is valued at $1800...if I could be so lucky.
I can't find any markings on mine...likely making it a knock-off. But a cut and cheap knock-off. |
 |
|
My two display helpers wanted their picture taken too. If you look close enough, you can see a tear in the corner of Zade's eye. Photo day was a rough day for him. All pieces are still in one piece. My punch bowl is still in Sheboygan. I didn't have enough room to bring it back safely. I should've just carried it in my lap on the way home on the plane. As it was, I had to carry the ice bucket and the wooden bowl in my carry-on bag. You should have seen us going through security! The xray guy calls over another guy to look at my bag. I didn't say anything...just laughed to myself. They let me through with no questions. I'm sure they've seen stranger things. Now Blasen gets to bring it home next trip. He's not really looking forward to it. Blasen wasn't sure of my so-called "investment", but he's becoming a believer as he looks up on-line my pieces...at least the ones that are marked. And I assured him, he now knows what to get me for gifts without asking me.
Also, we scored in the clothing department. I found a cute gently used gray wool peacoat, some capris, t-shirts, and a brand new denim jacket(still had the tags). I've had mixed emotions about the reappearance of the denim jacket. But it always looks so cute on others...and I got it for $2...so, I'll give it a go. Blasen found a cool corduroy blazer that came with a vest. It is old, but looks new and is a traditional cut, so it looks in style. Now, I just have to convince Blasen not to wear the vest too. I know some people like vest, but the only reason Blasen would wear it is to make fun of the vest-wearers of the world. (Yes, my husband feels like he's a fashion authority regardless of my objections.) Well, that's a whole different post in and of itself.
So....point of post: If nothing else, Sheboygan has great thrift stores. (I don't mean that in a negative way about Sheboygan...I just haven't been there enough to know all of it's great qualities. You can refer to
previous posts for what great qualities I do know about Sheboygan.)
3 comments:
Oooh, I love all the treasures and deals! I get as excited about other people's deals as I do about my own! Gives me a sweet rush! My latest deal: bought a 1980 C3P0Wilton cake pan for .99 at a thrift store a few weeks ago. It's selling for $65 on Ebay! My dilemma is whether to sell it or keep it. You know how I feel about cake pans...
Great finds! I sooo love milk glass, too! Keep your eyes open for my favorite - Jadeite. It's really hard to find here, but maybe you'll spot some up there.
PS I had a great time with kids last week. They are so fun to be with, each with their own interesting personality. I laughed all day!
why or why can't I ever find anything cool at Goodwill! I need to head down to the one in South County... apparently a lot of our Pro sports wives donate there. Maybe I'll find something better. Oh well, Mike at least gets some awesome shirts....not cool corduroy vest and jacket combos... but still cool!
Post a Comment