Y'all, I've never seen so much pink ultra-plush carpet as I have in the past 3 days! That carpet salesman of the pink ultra-plush must have scored big time when he rolled into Sheboygan. It didn't matter the kind of house or when it was built, but evidently everyone redecorated in the mid 80's and haven't touched anything since. Of course I can't forget the avocado green ultra plush carpet that came in a close second. Blasen kept asking what my beef with carpet was and I told him that even my grandmother knew enough to rip her avocado carpet out and install a neutral instead and that was years ago when I was a child. And to think of all the people and pets that have lived on that carpet...I don't care what kind of vacuum you have that carpet isn't going to get all the way clean...yuck. If I'm going to have carpet, I want to be the one to put it in. Also, why do people put carpet in dining rooms...white carpet at that? You're just asking for a disaster. One of my favorites(insert extreme sarcasm) was the one with carpet in the kitchen. By yesterday, even the realtor was poking fun at me over the carpet issue. I'm just thinking of my kids ruing this stuff as soon as we move in where you have a house that has light cream-nearly white carpet in the entire house.
I know you're thinking just take off your shoes when you get in the house. No, my husband, for some reason, hates having to take his shoes off when he comes in the house. He wants to wonder around awhile tracking all the funk from the day through the house before he takes them off in the living room, by the couch, followed up by complaining that one of our children is playing with said shoes, or heaven forbid pulling the shoe laces. So, let's forgo all that and just have hardwood floors that are lots easier to clean...right?
Can you sense that the house hunting went about like most house hunting goes? I have discovered that selling a house can be far worse than buying a house, but after this weekend, buying could come in a close second. If I could take about 3 or 4 of the houses and piece together the parts I liked, I'd be happy. But that's impossible...right?
Here's a preview of my top 4:
![]() |
| St. Clair house |
Upside: location(close to parks, school and lake), huge (4399 sq ft), nice commercial stove/oven, great fenced yard, 2.5 car garage, old house character with mouldings and built-ins throughout.
Downside: location(apartments next door, but not shady apartments), only massive formal dining room for eating, some rooms have no over head lighting(the switches operate the plugs, which evidently was very popular at some point, because we looked at several homes that had no over head lighting expect in the kitchen), carpet over hardwood in living room, how would resale go?
![]() |
| Huron house |
Upside: location(2 blocks from Lake and houses surrounding it are really nice and reno'd already), nearly 3500 sq ft, sort-of blank canvas, huge yard, garage, close to school and parks.
Downside: not livable at this point(how would that work out?), lots of questions regarding how far the other people got on their work, do I really want to do this again?
![]() |
| Kohler House |
Upside: completely remodeled, literally next door to the school(to the left of the house is the school yard), like I said Blasen could walk to work or be home for lunch, garage, fenced in yard (not much but school yard is right there), parks and library close by.
Downside: semi-small but enough space for us, price a little higher than we wanted to spend, semi motivated seller (new job in Milwaukee so can commute, but doesn't really want to), creeped-out by possible Kohler brainwashing.
![]() |
| Sheboygan Falls House |
Upside: plenty of space (3592 sq ft), floor plan flows pretty well, great basement, nice yard, garage, close to work.
Downside: can we say "ranch"(I never thought the day would come, but a ranch style home has made it on my "possibilities" list), only eating space in kitchen, 4th bedroom in basement with a door that leads to outside, light cream carpet in most living spaces, cathedral ceilings (not a fan of...I know I like 11ft ceilings, but not cathedral, not sure why)
So of all the houses that we looked at over the past couple of days, let's say these are MY top four. Blasen may not completely agree with me. But this wouldn't be the first time. I once had a realtor tell me she truly believed that when you walk into the house you're supposed to get you'll know. I actually believe her...or at least that has been my experience the last two times we have bought homes. Not sure if I've felt that with any of these. Also, not sure if Blasen will allow me to go in and start tearing up and making it the way I want it. I may have to live with the cream carpet and blonde oak cathedral-faced cabinets...ugh.




5 comments:
My opinion if you're asking: Don't do another remodel right away! You'll likely be having another baby sometime soon...ZERO family up there to help with the reno and/or to watch kids when you're in crunch time needing to finish a project....I LOVE the Kohler village house. You'll save tons o' money on gas with Blasen walking to work and with the school next door for kiddos. I love that it is all brick. It's so cute and quaint. That's my pick. Give yourselves a break before delving into something else so major! And doing a reno in a WI winter will not be near as easy as one in an Alabama winter! Just my thoughts!!
Your points are very valid and we've discussed them. It would be lots harder to reno up here without family. It's such a hard decision. And if we had our house in Decatur sold and cash in hand I'd be so much more hopeful.
I guess Jeni doesn't feel the same way we do about remodeling. :) of course she's right on the family issue. You have some fun options. Mike saw a house the other day that had carpet in the kitchen and in the master bath. It was awesome... or not. I do like Blasen being able to walk to work and come home for lunch. I love having Mike a few minutes from home so he can come home for lunch 3-4 days a week. It really helps break up the day and who doesn't love to see their husband randomly during the day! Good luck!!
I like the Kohler house. I like the idea of all the close things and having daddy home so much! Also, I really don't think there will be any brain washing. Maybe just take a short break from remodeling and get things back together and sold in AL and then you can be all ready for the next big remodel! You guys are good at it but you don't have to live in it all the time!
My vote house wise (cause i'm turning into a poll?) is the st clair house. that just has soooooo much charm! eeek. i wish i could see it in person. but the money saver in me likes the kohler house with everything being so close by... what a FUN adventure...
Post a Comment