Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer Reading


Do you ever do this? Go to the library wanting to find one book and leave with a whole pile? I usually do. My reason is mainly because I keep finding stuff that I want to read, maybe even more than the last book I picked up and I don't want to go reshelve the others. I end up with an entire pile and Blasen looks at me like I'm crazy. Per his request, this time I did pick up a biography and another "non-fiction" selection. He reads nothing but non-fiction. And I hate to pick on him, but I don't recall a non-fiction book he's completed. I'm sure there's a couple, but usually he never finishes them. I say it's because they are so boring. He says he doesn't enjoy reading because it puts him to sleep. Again, I blame the non-fiction.
Anyway...on my reading list:
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee (50 year anniversary this summer)
Rosemary for Remembrance, Audrey Stallsmith (these are in a series called "A Thyme Will Tell Mystery"...a suggestion from a friend's blog)
Marigolds for Mourning, Audrey Stallsmith
John Adams, David McCullough (the promised biography, Blasen asked why I chose this one...it was one of the first in the biography section and the boys were losing patience with my perusing. )
Change Your Brain, Change Your Body, Dr. Daniel Amen (the promised non-fiction book)
The Lost Symbol, Dan Brown (I've read all his stuff...even the non-Robert Langdon books, all very good)
Sunday's at Tiffany's, James Patterson (never read his stuff...no, I lie, I did read When the Wind Blows when I was in China...a bit on the weird side, sci-fi stuff)

We'll see what I get to. I've sort-of entered a not-so-interested-in-reading period. I've drug out the ol' sewing machine and maybe I'll get some wanted projects done. You know, I could work on that HUMONGOUS cross-stitch I started in China. Remember that thing? I barely do. It hasn't been touched since we landed in the US of A. That's actually a good idea.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Interesting contrast between your genres of choice and those of Blasen! I think you may have shed light on why I don't read enough (besides the fact that I'm a slow reader and that I unintentionally and automatically analyze the grammar of every single sentence, no matter what I read in whatever language!): I tend to go after the same genres as Blasen! And, like him, I rarely finish this "pleasure reading" before starting another book of this kind or quitting altogether. Maybe fiction and other genres truly are where it's at!

nbarnes2 said...

i read john adams and actually really liked it. i also read sundays at tiffany's. its like a day read. if i remember right. oooh.. to kill a mockingbird sounds good. it's been like 15 years since i read it but i really don't enjoy re-reading. let us know what you think of the others! i love book reviews on friends blogs. well if you get to them. i also love sewing projects! :)

Jeni said...

The Lost Symbol was great. I read it fast. Maybe it's because that's the one I was reading when Elyse was born and I read it while I nursed, which was a lot, as you know, there in the beginning. Let me know how you like the Change Your Mind, Change your Body book. Sounds like my kind of read. I'm reading the Bree Tanner book right now (still haven't finished it!), and then it's back to Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer, one of the latest John Grisham books. They are pretty mindless reads, but let's face it, mindless reading is about all I can handle these days. David started the Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt series and he says they're very addicting. So those might be on the list to come. I think Blasen would like those if he'd give fiction a chance. :)

Anonymous said...

The bio on John Adams should be required reading for everyone in America... the Western Hemisphere... the World. Well, actually,I would be content if Obama and Elena Kagen were forced to read it.

Best bio I have read in twenty years!

Old Man River

Sara said...

I'm reading the Dan Brown now...but next is definitely John Adams...thanks River