Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spinning Circles


Blasen is back in town again, after being gone last week. That means I have to act like a good/correct mother and wife. Translation...I am not allowed to read all day every day. (Well, I don't allow myself to read. Don't want you to think Blasen's a meanie) I read a bunch last week. I've found a new Southern author that I love. Mary Kay Andrews writes about strong Southern women and some trial in their life. They are full of Southern whit and charm and it just makes me love being from the South even more and even sadder to soon be leaving. They are easy and don't take too much brain power. I also read Stephenie Meyer's new novella, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Click on the title and it will take you to a website where you can read it for free until July 5th. I really enjoyed it...quite a different perspective than Bella. A short read, only 178 pages.
So my reading time is drastically reduced since I now need to make real meals and go to bed at a decent hour. I've also been working on getting back to the gym in full force. No more pansy elliptical machine unless I just have to or I've done something else. Yesterday, I wimped out and didn't go at all, so I missed my pilates class. Today I show up and it just so happens the spinning class was starting. I suppose I felt like punishing myself and hopped right on that bike like I knew what the crap I was doing.
I have never done a spinning class because of a fear of totally embarrassing myself in various ways. Also, I haven't been on a bike of any kind since I was probably 10. Why 10? Well that is when we moved to Ragland and the death hill for a drive way. If you've been to my parent's house you know what I'm talking about. We only road our bikes on dares. The last time I road my bike there I flipped over the handle bars, followed by the rest of my bike. The front tire was all warped, I was bruised and bloody and I called it quits. Hence, I don't feel comfortable on a bike...of any kind.
I survived the hour class just fine...better than expected and no flying over the handle bars. Holy Crotch, though! I don't have much padding on my derrière. I'm not saying I have a small but, just not lots of cushion...it's plenty wide though. I did really like it. I may likely be back next week.
Otherwise, we are just hanging out waiting for our house to sell and enjoying the blazing heat and humidity. Today...102 with heat index. Ugh.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

I just borrowed the Bree Tanner book from a friend. I got to read about 1 3/4 pages before I got interrupted. But soon...I hope to get to it soon. I just finished the two Hunger Games books..have you read those?

So proud of you for trying spinning! I can spin all day long, but pilates kicked my A when I tried back in Ttown. I liked yoga, though. I'm actually auditing a yoga class and a weight lifting class at the community college class starting in August. So much cheaper than the gym! I think I can, I think I can, right?

And yes, we're getting a dog. Heaven help me! We get him Thursday.

Glad to see you blogging again!

Rachael M. said...

I cannot spin. I tried one time. I straight jumped off the bike and left in the middle of class. I don't know how men take that class.

Emily said...

I love the spin classes! That is one thing I miss from my gym days! They had extra padded seats though and I do have extra padding on my behind!