Thursday, March 4, 2010

Busy Little Bees

Blasen is home this week and has permanently dawned his general contractor hat for the next two weeks. I sent the boys off to enjoy a week at Mama Ford and Grandfather's and joined in the fun. Thankfully, Blasen's brother Pace agreed to come and help us for the next two weeks. Granted he may be regretting his generosity at this point.
So far, the dining room floor has been torn up(it was carpet), ceilings in living room and dining room taken down(they were drop ceilings), wallpaper in foyer and den removed, counter tops in laundry removed, and master bath framed and plumbed. What is going in all these destroyed rooms? The dining room is getting hardwoods and a beadboard ceiling to match the rest of the house. The living room is getting the beadboard ceiling as well. Foyer and den will just be repainted. Quartz counters in the laundry room. The master bath will have a shower, vanity and toilet. We just couldn't squeeze that claw foot tub in there. It will go downstairs in the 3rd bathroom and just be a tub instead of tub/shower combo. That will save on tiling.
When Blasen was gone to WI last week, I worked on sewing projects that would help to make the house look "pretty". In it's state right now, there is nothing that can make this place "pretty".
Pillow for front porch swing.

Pillows for rocking chairs.

Curtain for front door.

Pelmet box for kids' room. Idea I found at Little Green Notebook.

Kitchen curtains.
Tearing down the frame for the drop ceiling in dining room.

Ceiling in living room before the tear down.

Framing master bath.

With all the construction comes the mess and moving around. Who doesn't want a bath tub in their bedroom?

And I got a haircut. It got it all cut off around Christmas and went in last week for a trim. Since I hadn't posted about it in the first place...we can pretend I just had it cut.

I'll try to keep updating as everything moves along. Wish us luck that we don't hit too many snags.


8 comments:

Jeni said...

I am so glad for you that your mom is keeping the boys! Can you imagine the fun they'd have in that hot mess of a house right now? Makes me SO sick to my stomach you're going to get all pretty and then have to leave it. But I'm sure the several thousand dollars you'll make off of it will ease that sting a little! Love the shorter hair! Very cute! PS..Where did you put all your living room furniture?

Cheyenne said...

You always find the cutest fabric. I like your haircut. It hasn't been that short for a loooong time. Remember I'm here to help with painting!

The Thomas Family said...

Love everything you've made! You and my sis-in-law make similar things... I have a sewing machine that I don't know how to use. I wish I lived close to someone like you who could encourage me. Your house looks great! I love love your hair! I am not used to it and just picture you with long hair... but it's not like I EVER see you.
I'm sure you're an outstanding mother (commenting on the previous post). It's a little scary sometimes but I believe that it's all through His grace and mercy that children come out right. :)
Bisous.

Rachael M. said...

Your hair looks awesome! I love how Isla is peeking around the tub. LOL!

I'm sad about getting the house all nice for someone else to enjoy, too. That is why I am a slavedriver and make Ben do the stuff to our house NOW. LOL Of coure, I never want to move again, ever, well, if at all possible, so that's another reason, too. :-)

What's your countdown to WI living?

tracyp said...

I guess i'm the only one not sick about you fixing it up to leave...but since that's how mike and I roll... Now you'll know exactly how and what you want in your new house! That has to be wonderful that your parents can take the boys, we never would have that luxury, of course we don't have the # of kids either. Good luck these last few days!

Jennie said...

I feel you on the NEVER do remodeling again. I never, ever, ever, ever want to remodel again. Of course, we're not DONE yet but hopefully soon!
We had a great time with those boys last week. I'll surely miss them (ya'll) when your moving day comes!

Emily said...

I think it is great you are doing so much before you go! That way you will see more money when you leave! Which was the point in the first place! So, good luck, and I know you will have a great adventure!

Unknown said...

You look beautiful! You're house is going to be beautiful! I'm excited for you