Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Spice Up My Kitchen...Please!

I've mentioned in previous posts that the kitchen renovation has started. I've put-off posting the pictures because...well, I'm not sure why. All I know is every time I think about it, my stomach knots up. I've been looking forward to this, yet dreading it at the same time since we moved in two years ago. My old kitchen functioned, but definitely needed work. For example, our fridge didn't fit into it's spot, so it blocked the window and the dishwasher sat in the fridge's rightful place with a slab of scrap granite and a bucket of rice on top holding it in place. Practical-no, functional-sort-of...it got the job done.


The first day we created a make-shift kitchen in the dining room, removed the base cabinets and started on the floor. We knew the floor was going to be a nightmare. There were about 7 layers of flooring before we got to the sub-floor. And I'm not talking about 7 layers of linoleum, I mean 2 layers of linoleum then layer of plywood, more linoleum, then pressed wood, then more linoleum and likely some more plywood and tar paper too...I think. And in one of those layers someone went crazy with the staple gun as there were TONS of staples holding this stuff down. In the smaller pictures you can sort-of see all the layers.


Since that first day we've removed the paneling that was up and the built-in cabinets that I wanted to save. Not sure what we're going to be able to save now. You never know, though, Blasen usually gets all that worked out. Thankfully, we have another double sink in the laundry room and I was able to have the dishwasher hooked up in there. Granted I could have gone without a dishwasher, but I've only had it for a few months and I didn't want to go without again.



As for storage space, I was able to move in the pantry cabinet and one of the old base cabinets. I also created a shelf for some additional storage. I still try to cook meals, but sometimes it's difficult when some stuff is boxed away and you have about 3ft of counter space. Despite all this, it's still not as bad as I thought. Maybe that's the Lord blessing me for doing this.



Anyway that's the kitchen update. Meanwhile, the exterior is still unfinished due to the all the stinkin' rain. Last week, our painter was able to get lots done, but there's still a bit left. As you see in the photo, the detail work on the front isn't done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you, Sara dear! I hope I never have to experience a renovation of any kind! You're a tough cookie!!

nbarnes2 said...

sara i think you're a real trooper. thats a lot of coping and rearranging. amazing. creativity put to good use.