Monday, March 9, 2009

I Skipped My Sunday Afternoon Nap

Sunday is the one day that I allow myself a nap with little to no guilt. Yesterday I decided to try and skip it since I've been having problems sleeping at night. Apparently, I go thru phases of insomnia or something. Even though the nap seemed extra appealing due to the time change, I passed. Wow! So, this is how I occupied my time Sunday afternoon.


I made Zade a Batman cape for his upcoming birthday and cousin Brett a Superman cape for his birthday that we missed. (Well, we there in body, but likely not mind, as we flew in from China that day.) I had already wrapped Brett's gift before I took the pictures. My friend Rachael gave me the idea when she made Bliss a Superman cape for Christmas. We love superhero's in this family and those Batman PJ's of Zade's just aren't cutting it. I figure this way it will cut down on the arguements over the one Superman cape. They were really easy to make. I found the tutorial on another blog called Puking Pastilles. I did some things different, like I didn't make mine reversible. I also used a sports canvas that would be more durable for my rough boys. This comes in 60" wide, so you really don't need 1 1/2 yd. I bought a yard, but you could likely get by with 3/4 yd. Another option is gaberdine, which Rachael used for Bliss's cape. All-in-all, an easy fun thing for your family's superhero fan.

3 comments:

Rachael M. said...

OH! It turned out AWESOME! Yeah, the lady at Hancock had me sold when she told me how easy it was to wash gaberdine, too.

I'm sorry I didn't think ahead and make them each one for Christmas. Part of me thinks they would want something different, the other part of me thinks they need similar things so that there are no jealousy issues. But I didn't know if Zade liked Batman...I should have just assumed. LOL

He's going to be so proud! And I like it not reversible. More costumes!

Emily said...

That is awesome! I should learn that and make them for people I know having boys!

Jennie said...

Capes are totally awesome! I love that one, may have to make some here, too. Another costume that's easy to do and some people with girls may be interested in is the ballerina/fairy costume. It's an apron style costume (I made up myself). Cheap and one-size fits most; can't beat that!