Blasen has been trying to put the weight on since we got back from China. He goes to the gym daily and is back to the rugby routine. Here is my attempt to help him. I made him his own protein/energy bars. I first saw the recipe on Good Eats with Alton Brown and found the recipe at Food Network. I pretty much had everything in the house, except the silken tofu. Since Blasen isn't a huge dried fruit fan, I just used chocolate chips. As for the natural peanut butter and the unstrained apple juice....I used what I had. All-in-all, it's cheaper than paying $1-2/bar at the store. I hope they taste good!
2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup
3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup
1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
2 large whole eggs, beaten
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
Canola oil, for pan
In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.
Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.
In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
3 comments:
You're making a QUILT?!?! And you make homemade power bars for your husband AND you're expecting your third child...geez...
That's Sara...superwoman!
Sara, can you please email me the pdf of the quilt pattern? I can't seem to get to it off the etsy site.
Thanks!
Tracy
Post a Comment