Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Check Me Out

The past day or so Blasen and I have been doing some extra web surfing. Blasen came across this article in Time magazine that listed the 50 Best Websites 2008 . We went thru them all and here are a few of our favorites. You might find some of them quite useful for you too.
1. WikiTravel: Wikipedia for travel destinations
2. Geni: Easy family tree building and sharing
3. Mapjack: Sort-of like Google Street View, you can see panoramic photos of places in the world
4. Mint.com: Software for financial planner, can keep up with all your investments and accounts. Blasen likes the idea, but not getting the warm and fuzzies for security reasons.
5. Nymbler: Baby name site that's different. You chose names you like and they can create new names or find other names based on the names that you like. They have some really neat and not too weird names there.
6. Picnik: Online "fun" photoediting sight
7. Urban Dictionary: a slang dictionary for all of us that are way behind the times
8. Imeem: Music store, but also like playlist.com where you can create online playlists and internet radio
9. Kongregate: Gaming site. We found a game called Zilch that is like the dice game we call Greed and play with the Archibald family. So far I'm the champion.
10. Lookybook: Previews hundreds of children's books, so you can decide if you want to buy based on content, not just the cover and review.
11. Digital Vaults: Some famous stuff in the National Archives you can look at. Thought it was interesting.
12. Free Rice: My Dad actually told us about this site. It's brain teasers and for everyone you get correct they donate 20 grains of rice to the U.N. World Food Program. Charity and brain building all at the same time!
13. WikiSky: Can't get this one to load, but it looks neat in Time. It's images from space.

Those are ones from the Time article. Here are some of my favorites that friends have reccommended or I've come across on my own.
1. The Village Shop: Crafts and sewing ideas blog. Found this one on Alaina Enslen's blog.
2. DesignMom: A designer mom with 5 kids. Some interesting stuff every once in awhile. Found this one thanks to Natalie. She has some other interesting ones listed on her blog you can look at.
3. Fabric.com: Online fabric store. I get some of my background ideas from here. They have really cool fabrics and the prices actually don't seem that bad.
4. Etsy: You've probably heard of this site where you can buy and sell handmade items and just get ideas.
5. Sew, Mama, Sew!: Sewing and craft idea blog. They have cute, cute stuff. Found this one thanks to my big sis Jennie.
6. Disdressed: Another sewing and craft blog. Again, Jennie found this one.
7. Potent Notables: This is the website of my friend Rachael's business. She is awesome and I hope this link works, because I guess she has offended the Chinese as I can not get her site to pull-up over here. By the way, she designs and makes note cards, invites, etc. Check her out...she's awesome.
8. The Big List of Sewing Blogs: I found a list of sewing blogs for all you sewers out there looking for fun projects for Christmas. I still need to look at it all, but here's the link.

So, that's all I came up with. Granted most of you probably do not have the free time at night(or during the day) to look at all this, but maybe one or two will be helpful/fun.
Thanks to everyone out there who posts what they found...it's so helpful to us all!

4 comments:

Rachael M. said...

I cannot even begin to imagine what my website did to offend the Chinese, but it still works in the US. LOL

I can't wait to check out some of those.

Cheyenne said...

Nice list. I love Food Network's holiday fare as well.

Sara said...

I have trouble with a lot of websites, especially personal ones or small business ones. That's why I haven't put that button up that Ben made for your blog, b/c it won't pull up here, so I'm not sure that I've done it right. I plan on doing that when I get home.

Rachael M. said...

Maybe it has something to do with "promoting" capitalism?