We left Thursday morning taking a 3 1/2 hour bus ride. The only difficult part was going through customs when we got to the China/Hong Kong border. Just a quick geography lesson. I actually thought I was pretty good with geography, and my mother will likely be embarrased, but I didn't realize that Hong Kong is actually connected to mainland China. Hong Kong actually consists of a lot of islands, but a section is also connected to the mainland. I just always assummed all was islands.
We went through customs, China side and Hong Kong side. It was not easy. Our kids were asleep and did not like being woken up, especially Bliss. We all know and love the beast when he wakes up. To top it off, the China customs guy didn't believe Blasen's passport was actually him. I believe we finally decided that Blasen just needs to get a new passport. He always gets harrassed about his picture. It never fails. It is a pretty bad picture, but still, it's close enough.
The rest of the trip went well. Hong Kong was a lot different than what I imagined. It was more western than I expected. It reminded me a lot of Geneva. In the area we stayed, by the harbor across from Hong Kong island, was very touristy and a great melange of nationalities. He walked along the harbor that evening and found a really nice playground for the kids to play on.
Blasen was excited to find a 7/11 that had a soda fountain and coke slushies. I, too, was thrilled. We have 7/11's in China, but no fountain drinks. McDonald's, etc have them, but they use very little ice and lots of times, there soda is that good. Thankfully, that 7/11 was close to our hotel and we frequented it during our short stay. I also found a French deli, next door to the 7/11. I was in heaven. I know y'all think I'm crazy, but I've been craving western food so much. I didn't eat any chinese the whole trip. I even found a pain au chocolate that passed my tests.
That first night we went to the night markets, which was lots of fun. Bliss didn't really agree, but he got a wooden rubber-band gun out of the deal. Shopping is somewhat fun, but bartering gets old.
Friday, we spent the day at Ocean Park. We all had lots of fun. Bliss loved seeing the dolphins doing their tricks and the panda bears. Blasen and I even got to take turns on the grown-up rides. I haven't riden roller coasters in years, so it was lots of fun. The park, thankfully, wasn't that busy, so lines were short. There was a kids area too with rides and the boys got to ride those too. So, there was something for everyone. Of course, we had to have some drama. Bliss head butted a kid on the moonwalk and busted the kids nose. I felt really bad, but the kid was fine. It was a mistake, but Bliss wasn't being very careful, especially since he kept trying to tackle the kid. The kid was probably an only child...he needed the experience, right?
Bliss at the Panda habitat. We weren't allowed to use flashes with the pandas, so our pictures weren't too great.

Me on a roller coaster.
If that wasn't enough for one day, we decided to see Victoria Peak, since we were already on Hong Kong island. Victoria Peak is the tallest point on the island and you can see the whole harbor from up top. We took the tram up the mountain to the park. There is lots of shopping and places to eat. They even had Bubba Gump's Shrimp up there. It was really pretty up there. We didn't get to stay for very long...the boys faded fast.I hated to leave, but we had to get back to China Saturday night. We bought some last minute things...like imported Doritos and our beloved fountain drink...then we were off. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to eat at the Outback Steakhouse or the TGIFridays right across from our hotel, but I compromised by picking up a pesto chicken and fuselli on salad w/a balsamic vinegrette. I know that sounds crazy, but it was so good. I like Chinese food, but I'm a little burned out. It was nice having cheese and lunch meat again...I had a panini every day. Another thing we hated giving up were the beds at the hotel. They had "western" matresses. The Chinese are used to sleeping on the floor still, I guess, so there matresses are about one step up from a box springs. I didn't realize how big the difference is until I laid on that bed. Ah...it was great! Granted we stayed in a four star hotel, but it was tiny...and I mean tiny. But that's the norm for Hong Kong.
I think that's it. We had lots of fun and are hoping to somehow get back before we leave for the States. We're back in the swing of things here now.

10 comments:
Oooo, Hong Kong seems not so scary as "China" LOL. I could probably swing a vacation there, of course, I wouldn't really be able to say I had an authentic Chinese experience if I went there since it sounds pretty much like any big tourist city here in the states. But I am way not brave enough to go to Foshon ;-) If I weren't pregnant, though, I would have tried to figure out a way to visit y'all while you were there!
Glad you had a great trip. Only three months til you can come home!
The boys are getting so big and changing so much! Hong Kong looked fun. I'm glad the boys had a good time. You guys all look great! Love and miss you.
Well, I'm glad Hong Kong was so hospitable! Sounds like it was a nice break at the half-point and not so foreign. Maybe you can go back at Thanksgiving and find some turkey. Does Blasen eat turkey?
Excellent use of the word 'melange'. Loved how you slipped that in there. :)
Thanks for sharing the pics. As I have no desire whatsover to visit that part of the world, I will enjoy your pictures. :)
I would love to go there. You are a good example to me by taking your two kids everywhere--Ben says things to me all the time about taking trips but I'm always like, "We can't until our kids are older!!"
Wow, your boys are getting so big and handsome!
I remember the same thing when I was there. I was there for 4 months and i really enjoyed the food but McDonalds never tasted so good. Same thing with the beds!
Is that a real Panda in the photo with Bliss? If so, holy crap! They let you get that close to the animals? If not, ignore my ignorance. I'm just an Alabama bumpkin with a computer and not much experience (and apparently bad eyesight).
PS Sorry for the additional ignorance visa vi the "trip to Washington."
i like jennie am curious....is bliss really that close to a real panda? are panda's that docile?
No that's not a real panda. That was a statue outside the building. Our pictures with the pandas didn't look that good. We couldn't use a flash, so they were blurry.
thanks for clearing that up. the statue just looked so real!
C'mon, Sara..it's time for a new post!
Post a Comment