Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Can we put a price on everything?

Saturday is our tourist day. This past Saturday we went to the ancestral temple here in Foshan. I thought it would be a fun thing to do. In France, we would go to the cathedrals or basilicas and I thought this would be similar. It was, in a sense. There were your tourists and beggars, etc. We get there and it costs money to go in and there were a lot more people than I thought. One would think that you wouldn't charge for something like that, but I'm wrong. Blasen says the Chinese will get money from anything they can. You even have to pay money to see the Great Wall. I know in the States we have to pay for stuff, but not usually historical stuff...for the tour guide sure, but not otherwise. Am I wrong? Have I just not gone to look at something old lately?
Anyway, so we decided to just look around that area of the city. There are a bunch of shops in that area and we bought ice cream from McDonald's to make Bliss happy. It costs about $.35 to buy an ice cream and Bliss is content.

In this area there were a lot of bronze statues that were really cool. Bliss wanted his picture taken with all of them. Here are a few of the shots.

This is one of 4 children holding a dragon like you see in parades. I'm not sure what it's called, but you know what I mean, right? This is just two of the children as there were lots of people there taking pictures...probably of our kids, now that I think about it.

This is one of two old men drinking tea and smoking whatever they smoke out of that big bamboo pipe on the right. There was actually a Chinese lady here that asked to hold the boys and take a picture with them. She was so excited.

Blasen and I have decided that shops should give us a discount for coming into their store, because we always draw a crowd of people. So they get more foot traffic if we just park in front of their store for a minute. This one man saw us as he was walking with his family. He knelt down by Bliss and held Bliss's face in his hands. I had no idea what he was saying, but I could tell that he was amazed to see Bliss's blue eyes. The man kept pulling at Bliss because he wanted to show his little boy the other little boy with blue eyes. I think Bliss thought the man was trying to take him away or something. All I know is if the Vaughn kids and their red hair were hear they would draw way more attention than my little blue-eyed boys. Bliss doesn't really care for this new found attention, but Zade eats it up. He puts a show on everywhere we go.
So we didn't see the ancestral temple, but decided to come tour it another day when it is cooler and maybe not so many people.

3 comments:

Rachael M. said...

Well, it depends - Think about the Biltmore...it's old and huge and costs nearly $50.00 to see. It costs money to see the Statue of Liberty and the observation deck of the John Hancock building in Chicago. And a lot of parks cost money to go into, even if it's only $5.00 a carload of people. But I suppose there are enough free things that it evens out.

I can't believe it doesn't weird you out that everyone wants to touch your kids and have their pictures taken with them, though. That's just...very Hollywood. I guess that's why Brangelina haven't had a baby in China!

mcamp said...

would it be different if they had dark hair and dark eyes? or is just because you're white?

and yeah i'd be a little freaked out at first if some strange person always wanted to see and touch my children but you have to remember that it's a different culture

Jennie said...

It is a very different culture. We were watching this documentary about China's new capitalistic turnings anyway, Ted Koppel said that the Chinese prize their children, perhaps because each family has so few. So I'm sure to see children so different from their own is amazing to them.
About charging to see the ancestral temple, like Rachael said there are some that cost money but then many of the national monuments are free like the ones in Washington, DC. However, the Smoky Mountains National Park is the only one that is free. You probably never realized it because our family never went many places that cost money! ;)