Wednesday, March 19, 2008
A moral dilemma
I am in the process of updating my passport. The moral dilemma comes in that they want you to turn in your old passport...of which, I do not wish to do. My old passport is not expired yet, but my name is different and I suppose Sara Kate Ford version 1.0 no longer exists to the Government. "What's the problem?" you ask. The problem is in old passport: 1) has the visa's and stamps from my mission and my honeymoon, 2) has a dang good picture of me, which is hard to come by when you talk about passport photos. (Props to the folks at Shutterbug in T-town). So, I think, don't turn it in and say you lost it, etc. Well, the government's one step ahead of this sneaky mom. They make you sign an affidavit making you state that your passport is lost and the circumstances surrounding the said incident of losing the passport. You sign on the line next to a bold printed section stating that if this statement is false, it is perjury, and you will be so charged. Stop right there! Perjury?!?! Come on...I'm just sentimental. As I was falling asleep last night, I pondered over my plan of action. Do I lie? Commit perjury, in the eyes of Uncle Sam? Weiner me believes that I will likely just make copies of my passport and beg the lady at the passport office to see if I could possibly get my passport returned once they have "invalidated" it. Ugh. What to do, what to do? I don't think that they would ever know that I was lying. But my luck is that some loser would somehow steal my old passport and try to use it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
It stinks having integrity. Hmmm...I bet they would give it back to you once they invalidated it if you explained it was for family history documentation purposes. Make it sound all official and stuff. Dadgum those 10 commandments. Oh, I like your new blog layout. Very nice.
I'd just make copies of the most important pages
They send it back to you.
I didn't even ask for it back, and I got mine back. They just send it to you with a hole in it along with your new one.
:-D
So no reason to perjure yourself!
That's awesome. I feel better now. I knew you had to renew yours for you trip last year and I meant to ask. Great!
You WILL get it back!! :)
The same happened to me, I totally understand!
I was going to say that you could make copies of it but sounds like you thought of that already. It also sounds like you will get it back anyways, so that's good. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. It does have a lot of sentimental value. I still haven't changed my passport, and it has stamps from when I went to England, Scotland, and Italy, so I would want to keep it, too.
I'll write you in the federal pen Sara.
Also, I need to talk to Blasen. Will you send me his # or have him e-mail me??
Thad
Post a Comment