Monday, September 23, 2013

Bliss is the Great Eight

Bliss playing flag football.

 If you've been seeing my random posts lately, you likely noticed that it was Bliss's birthday this month...actually yesterday. I don't think I'll reminisce this year. I will, however, comment on how quickly these last 8 years have gone. I believe during the duration of those 8 years, I oft time felt like time couldn't move any slower. My life, for the past 8 years, as Elder Jeffrey R. Holland has commented, has been "in the trenches". Blasen and I have been richly blessed throughout our 9 years of marriage. One of those blessings is Bliss Dean Archibald.
 Stats:
Ht: 4ft 1/2 in
Wt: 63 lbs
School: 2nd grade, Mrs. Kerscher's class

Bliss follows in his father's footsteps and is a quite the athlete. Unfortunately, he did get some DNA from me and therefore may have to try harder than his father did, but he is naturally talented when it comes to all sports. He just catches on pretty quickly. Right now he plays flag football and he is really good. And I'm not just saying that because he is my son. Game one, he played mostly defense as corner or defensive end and I don't think anyone crossed the line of scrimmage with the ball. He's pretty quick. Game two, he played mostly offense which was a bit more difficult. Why? Defense is simple enough, get the flag of the kid that has the ball. Offense, you have to execute plays. He did score the extra points after one touchdown and then went on to score a touchdown later in the game. He was pretty excited.

Bliss is a great student. He's interested in science and math. With writing and reading, he does what he is asked and nothing more. When he does read, he enjoys nonfiction. He says he actually feels like he's learning something when he reads nonfiction. Again, so like his father. He does enjoy me reading Encyclopedia Brown or Magic Tree House books to him even though he can read them himself. And I am always amazed that he has spectacular handwriting. I thought it was normal, the way he wrote, and thought it was strange that his kindergarten teacher always commented on it. Then Zade started school and the teacher assured us that Zade had age appropriate handwriting, even though I would consider it chicken scratch at best.

We celebrated Bliss's birthday yesterday as a family.
He got a guitar, of which he's been asking for FOREVER. He was pretty stoked.

I also conceded and went along with the skateboard idea.

He took it to the workshop side of the basement and tried it out.

Dad helped him with his stance and balance.
Then everyone got a ride.




Birthdays can't be simple in our house, we have to drag them out. We still have the birthday party for Bliss to invite friends to this coming weekend and then he'll be baptized the following weekend. My folks are flying in for that and we are all really excited for both. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

Yay! I'm so glad you updated! I know it's hard to do. But I miss your family and love seeing what they're up to! Tell Bliss happy birthday from us and we hope to see you guys this summer.