Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Changes at Chez Nous

Some changes on the horizon here in the Archibald home. I've mentioned before that we are finally making the great move north.
After much debate and much back and forth and finally some prayer...duh...we finally decided to bite the bullet and buy our family a home and forgo renting.
So here she is in all here colonial style glory.


I never thought I'd like a house that wasn't at least 100 years old, but never say never, I guess.
Granted some might consider this lady old...she was built in 1976 after all.
I really like that it's been with one family this whole time. That's really cool to me. The present owners are an older couple getting ready to retire and move south. They've raised their 4 children here and I'm sure have lots of memories. Thankfully, they have kept wonderful care of it and that makes me feel really good. After years of the old house that I LOVE, but they come with problems. All houses come with problems, I know, but old homes seem to have extra special ones.
I wanted to get something that would fit our present and growing family. We've got 4 bedrooms, plenty of room on the main floor, a basement, and huge front and back yards. These folks seemed to miss out on the huge sale of pink ultra plush carpet that most of Sheboygan evidently bought in on back in the late 80's. There is some updating that needs to take place, like the country style light blue wallpaper in the foyer and the semi-ugly vinyl kitchen floor. But nothing too pressing and good thing since we have this little thing called The Cartright House on Walnut St still. With the floor plan, all the wood mouldings, large windows, and real wood six panel doors...I saw so much potential in this traditional style home. I like to live in a house for awhile anyway to get an idea of what I want and how our family wants to live.
First room I'm going to work on is the nursery...because it will have a new occupant come Thanksgiving. Yes, Archibald #5 is well on her way. We're really excited for this new addition and I'm extra excited that we'll be getting a new little sister.
So lots of changes...little and big.

7 comments:

Jeni said...

I LOVE colonial style houses so of course I love this one! How awesome that only one family has owned it. Looks like it will be the perfect place to raise the growing brood of Archibald kids!!

Tracy said...

Congratulations Sara!!! What exciting changes your are having this year. I wish you the best. If you need a pit stop in Ohio, which we are on the east side and it would be totally out of the way, stop by!!

nowellmama said...

Congrats on both the move and baby. You go girl. our home is finally being built and should be finished by october. Wow you made it far before spilling the beans. Be safe.

Ashley said...

Congrats! How exciting and I LOVE the house!

Ashley said...

How exciting! And I LOVE the house!

tracyp said...

I am so very late reading this. CONGRATS!!!! So fantastic on the baby, the house.. everything. :)

holley family said...

oh yay!!! i'm so happy for you guys! we are having a girl too... seems to be we get to do this together a lot ;) i was wondering if we would do it again "together"... good luck moving :)