But I want to confess something. I can feel my older sis's gaze on me...maybe more of a glare once she reads this.
I've never read Jane Eyre.
I know, I know...it's a classic.
I had a choice in 12th grade English on my books. In typical Sara fashion, I read things I'd never heard of. Sometimes it paid off, others not. One that did was Rebecca by Daphne DeMaurier. Great book. I highly recommend it. The others must not have been that great, because I don't remember what I chose.
I was a bit apprehensive to start it. I bought a copy of Jane Eyre almost a year ago. Picked it up in the thrift store for $1 and it's sat on my shelf of "to read" books since then.
So why did I decide to pick it up finally?
1) A new movie of Jane Eyre came out last year and I wanted to see it, but I wanted to read it first.
2) My local library is recarpeting the fiction area and they have packed up most of their books. And I don't even want to go look through what they've kept out.
I'm really enjoying it and I'm not getting lost in the language which can happen if I'm not focusing.
So go our and read something on your "to read" list that you've been avoiding for years.
My next pick?
Anna Karenina...maybe. I need to tackle some classics.
3 comments:
That's how I felt. I think I got thru Jane Eyre.. Finally read pride and prejudice a couple years ago and since I started with the "best" the rest of the Jane Austen books... they are harder to get thru. I wish my sister would have told me that when I started. It takes me awhile to read them too because I, too, get lost in the language when reading. Good luck! :)
Girl - the only book I ever read the whole way through was The Great Gatsby.
All the rest were cliff's notes city.
This includes college!
THEY WERE GOING TO LET ME TEACH CHILDREN!!!
Don't worry, the list of books on my "to read" list is so long I won't finish it in this lifetime. Hopefully, we'll have time to read in the eternities. Other good classics: _A Tale of Two Cities_, _Tess of the D'Urbervilles_, and _Frankenstein_. That's just a small part of my faves, but a good place to start.
Post a Comment