Monday, January 24, 2011

January 23rd...Not Just Another Day


We all need a little color in our lives these days. It's been so dark and dreary around here lately that I feel like I'm in England or something. Maybe it's normally like this during winter in Alabama, but I've lived here most of my life and apparently I forget from year to year. It has snowed three times...and I mean stick to the ground...over the past month! AND there's a big chance for snow again this week. I keep telling myself that winter will soon be over and I can have the heater off so as not to die from the shock of the electric bill every month.
There is some noteworthy news from yesterday:
1) It was my birthday. Yes, a day in need of great celebration. We celebrated the best we could given it was Sunday. Blasen made birthday cream puffs. Can I say I was quite impressed? He actually made pate de choux and it came out great! He didn't go full fledge French cream puff, but rather settled for plain ol' Cool Whip which is good in and of itself. He and the kiddos bought me a new hairdryer...what every mother dreams of. I was in need of a new hairdryer. Mine, I believe, has about had it. I pride myself in that I've never bought a hair dryer. I usually take my sisters' rejects. I have 4 sisters...so there are lots of hairdryer rejects. This last one was getting pretty noisy and I believe starting to annoy Blasen. I'm not picky, I just need something that will dry my hair...nothing fancy. Blasen feels he got a pretty cool hairdryer for me. It comes with two different adapters, has a retractable cord, and a handle that folds down, making it easier for storage. Bliss also picked out Bliss chocolate for me and a Lindt truffle bar...which is my favorite from my Swiss days. A good birthday, since you have to have them. As I was falling asleep last night, Blasen asked me if my life is what I'd imagined it would be at 32. I informed him that no one dreams about life at 32...maybe your 30's in general, but not 32. If I dreamed I would be one of those screaming moms driving a minivan (you know the ones...you first think they are yelling at you for your poor driving, but then realize they are driving a minivan that is likely filled with arguing children) then I nailed the peg on the head.

2) The 23rd is National Pie Day. Since Blasen made cream puffs, I waited until today to make a pie honoring that day. Can I tell you how much I love pie? I would take a birthday pie over a birthday cake any day. Hmmm pie. Just thinking about it makes me excited. So, in honor of National Pie Day, I made a fresh strawberry pie. Yes, I know it's January, but fresh strawberry pie helps in the whole dispelling the winter blues brought on my many sunless days. I thought I'd share the strawberry pie recipe I use, so you can make one for yourself.

Fresh Strawberry Pie
1 qt fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced (I slice mine, some people use whole strawberries, but we like them sliced here at Chez Nous.)
1 cooked pie crust

Filling:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
6 Tbsp strawberry Jell-O(one small box)

Combine water, sugar, and cornstarch in smallish boiler on stovetop. Whisk out all clumps of cornstarch. Cook until almost pudding thick. For me this usually is almost a boil. Remove from heat and add Jell-O. Place strawberries into your cooked pie crust and poor filling over top. Cool in refrigerator for about 2 hours or until set. Serve with cool whip or whatever your heart desires.

This recipe is easy-easy and once strawberries are in season, these make regular appearances in our home.
So that's the new for now from Chez Nous. Time to check on those kids I mentioned earlier and start dinner. Yes, we must have something healthy before we eat the strawberry pie.

3 comments:

tracyp said...

Thank you for the laugh tonight...thinking about the screaming mom brings a smile. I'm glad you had a great birthday and I love that Bliss buys the chocolate of the same name.

Kathleen said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday, Sara! I'm glad Blasen and your beautiful kids made things special for you. Hope you enjoyed your strawberry pie. :P

Emily said...

Sounds like a fun day! And the van thing is so true, and so funny!