Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Just One Foot In Front of the Other

I picked up running as a hobby years ago. Since kids have come into my life, it's been on again, off again hobby. Some may think this a crazy thing to say, but I really do enjoy it...when I'm good at it. Right now, not so good at it. Well, I'm getting better. I started back running just a couple of weeks after Isla was born. I held back a bit, because Sister Porter swears that if I run too much, my uterus will one day fall out(I remember when she first told me that. I was in college still and I laughed so hard I was crying.). I know, I know...that shouldn't happen...but what if? And it's a good excuse not to run.

Anyway...I've repented for my slothfulness. Isla is over a year, nearing 1.5 years and I'm not where I should be. Running is a great stress reliever for me. I think that is the main reason I've resorted to it during stressful times in my life. It's funny...when I get wrapped-up in life's issues and they really start getting to me, my mother always asks if I'm running and encourages me to start if I'm not. It really does work...for several reasons. 1) When I exercise I feel good and not guilty. 2) I'm in control. How long and how far is all up to me...I control my body...in theory. 3) It gives me time to think and ponder.

Now, I'm not saying I'm good at it. Right now I'm frustrated with myself, but it's good motivation. I finally said yes to a race. So, yeah me. One of the instructors at the gym has been asking me for months to do some 5ks. I had originally started training for a 10k back in the winter, but then I got wrapped up in the house. So, I had to start over once the house was finished.

I'm writing this so I'll remember this and maybe my kids will read it one day and be impressed that there mother appeared to be semi-athletic. Also, I hope others will read this and maybe get motivated to run. Just think..."If Sara can do this, I can." I promise, I have to try very hard to appear semi-athletic. Every once in awhile my very non-athletic side come out and I fall off the treadmill or trip on the step in step class and go sprawling out on the floor almost taking someone else out or roll off the ball in pilates while trying to pike. (Now my kids will read that and see through me.)
Me with girls from the gym. I really shouldn't have stood between the two trainers...they make me look bad. 

Saturday, I ran in my first race since before my mission. I know...that was forever ago. I was in no way as prepared as I wanted to be, but I knew I just needed to bite the bullet. Blasen was surprised when I told him on Friday night. He asked me what my goal was. Honestly, it was just to finish, running the entire time. Blasen made me set a goal time. I'm embarrassed to write this, but I gave myself 35 minutes. I actually finished right at my time. The first two miles went really well and my pace was steady. I thought I might actually finish ahead of my goal. The last mile about kicked my butt. I've only been running 2 miles in the mornings. But like I said, I just needed to do it and quit saying I was going to do it. It was so tempting to just stop when we ran past my house (the race was thru the historic district)...I'm glad I didn't.

Now my goal is to do more races. We'll see how well this goes. Even if I don't do races, I'll still run. It's just one foot in front of the other.

10 comments:

Jennie said...

YEAH!!! That's awesome, I'm so proud of you! I started this week with a new exercise routine -- walking Mom and Dad's hill. I'm so sore, but it feels good (psychologically if not physically). Keep it up!

Unknown said...

I think that's great. I started the couch to 5K program a while back and I will be finishing week 8this week, it is a 9 week program so I'm almost done! It actually does work; but I'm a little too timid to try a 5K event just yet. I agree that it is very stress relieving. I am not even semi-athletic nor can I fake anybody out like I am so I think you have an advavtage!

Emily said...

You go!! I have to say running is not my thing, but I too hit the workout stuff hard when life gets crazy. So I have been working out twice a day here lately. The fact that I have a cruise coming up is a good motivator. I think you look awesome and I have always been jealous of how much you accomplish! you make me want to be better! I love you!

tracyp said...

That reminds me of when we used to go running in the Archibald neighborhood and we always walked that one stretch after the Hutchison's and when we ran the 5k for the hospital I just couldn't keep up because phycologically I needed to walk that short distance but you didn't want too because you didn't need too... and you left me in the dust! :) good luck and keep it up! Run a bit for me...I need to burn a few extra calories.

Emily said...

Sara, I have to ask. Is that what I think it is on your music thing(the picture)? I know you didn't pick that. Right?

nbarnes2 said...

hey sara, i was thinking about you and you're sewing and stuff. i remember way back, like my freshmen year in college back, and if i remember right you made a hanging back for temple clothes? i know you weren't endowed then but i could swear.... do you have any idea what or who else i might be thinking of? anyway i was wondering if it was you do you know where i could get a tutorial for that?

Sara said...

Natalie, I did make a temple bag...I can't remember who for, but I've made a couple. I have the pattern and can send it to you. Just send me your email address to saraarchibald@gmail.com
I'll leave a message on your blog too just in case.

Anonymous said...

I believe in following the Prophets, and I recall (and have made it my personal creed) the response President Hinckley gave when asked by a reporter what he did to stay in shape at his advanced age...

"I attend the funerals of my friends who jog."

I will admit, however, that I do actually find that watching people run relieves a lot of stress for me.

Old Man River

heidi said...

sara. keep running. keep me motivated. i ran a short distance this morning and came home and threw up and was sick for an hour. and everyone was late for everything. but. i will perservere. and so will you.
and i consider myself semi-pro. you don't have to be good at something to be a professional. look at britney spears.

Caroline said...

that's awesome girl! I love running too and so many people don't understand that! I am training for another half that I will run in October! Keep it up girl!