Thursday, August 26, 2010

In Search for a New Chez Nous

Old House charm, ex 1

Blasen and I are in Wisconsin this week looking at houses....well, we got here yesterday. We're staying in his "penthouse" as he calls it. It's a cozy efficiency apartment in a huge old house just 2 blocks from Lake Michigan. Nothing like sleeping on a air mattress! But the house is awesome. It makes me sick to see it how it is now...turned in to several apartments. The house next door is for sale actually. It's another huge old house, but I think it is still a single family home that at one time had been turned into apartments, but now back to single family. I know people think I'm crazy with my love for old homes. I can't help it...I've always been this way. And then I actually became owner to two different old homes and I'm addicted and I don't think I can go back...regardless at my husband's open mindedness with other types of homes. I just love the charm and the wood and the charm and the huge rooms and the built-ins...and did I mention charm? I'm still so drawn to them even though they have given me gray hair. Let's face it, I was going to have gray hair anyway. So what if I hurried it along.
Old House charm, ex 2

Beyond the dilemma of when to buy a house (before or after ours sells) I'm enjoying myself. Child-free, beautiful weather (as in today's high is 74), a new book, several magazines, and a beautiful lake 2 blocks away...why shouldn't I be happy?
I'll likely blog more later. Right now, I'm going to go run on the trail by the lake because it's 9:30 and not even 70 yet and I can.



Edit: Just got back from that run. BEAUTIFUL place here folks. Granted it's August and not January...that's when I'll be singing a different tune, you know when there are ice chunks floating in the lake and snow up to my knees. But so many beautiful old houses. I don't think Blasen's going to be able to talk me out of it this time. I believe it's official...I'm an old house person.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

Speaking from experience, there will not be ice chunks floating the lake in January - the whole lake will be one thick sheet of ice! But you can ice skate on it! I really like WI. It's a beautiful state, and if you can get over the accent, the people are so friendly. And the cheese. Oh my you will eat so much good cheese. You'll be happy there. Good luck finding your next old house. Just get one that's already been remodeled this time!

Jennie said...

It must be our childhood experience with the house in Tuscaloosa that makes us love old homes. You know I love them, too! Good luck with the hunting. Too bad about the winter, you'll be out of luck b/c you have no butt to freeze off!!! ;)

Emily said...

You married the right man for old houses. I love them too! Good luck with the hunt!

tracyp said...

I'm jealous! I so want to remodel an old house again! I miss the last one we did... and Mike and I are dying to do another one. I love the charm they have as well, and the built ins..and the fact that real wood is used in them. Hope you're able to find an old home, fix it up and not get too many grey hairs in the process!