Sunday, July 11, 2010

Life On The Sunny Side

This is going to be a totally random post of things I've been wanting to put up for a while. If I blogged daily I would likely have more cohesive, thoughtful posts...I do what I can. My husband has been heard to say of late "The hits keep on coming." Which they may seem to be, but I am refusing to dwell on them. If I did...well, let's not think about that. After much thought, prayer, and pondering, I've decided to "keep on the sunny side of life" as the old gospel tune suggest.

So on with the sunny...
I told Blasen I'd post a picture of his thumb on our blog. I guess our posterity, as well as all you, need to know how very male he is. Gross, huh? It is still really sore, but that's not stopping him from cutting grass, cutting up the felled limb, or putting insulation in the attic. We just dropped Blasen off at the airport. He's back at Kohler this week. He's definitely racking up some frequent flier miles with all this back and forth. This doesn't appear to be "the sunny side of life." But we here in the Archibald home give thanks every day for Blasen's new job, that is perfect for him and he enjoys greatly...which, by-the-way came during this time of economic hardship for many people and companies. And Kohler is being so wonderful during this whole relocation progress.

Here are my green beans I canned this week. We ate some the other night and they were quite tasty.

Like I mentioned before (I think) I finally got around to finishing the curtains for the living room. I really just added the top and bottom panels to a curtain that I already had, added the grommets and voila...a new and improved curtain. It goes along with these throw pillows for the couch.

Yesterday I got around to using some of those blueberries I picked at the beginning of the week. The other are still waiting to be made into a blueberry sauce/preserve type of yumminess. I used my little ceramic bird thing (not sure of the proper name) that helps steam escape without your pie boiling over. The picture looks sort-of bizarre...even a little obscene!
And I'll end this random post on a funny-to-me note. Some of you may recognize what these are. These are nursing pads, a.k.a. things that will stop-up your washing machine. A couple of weeks ago, my still-new-to-me washing machine kept flashing these different codes on the display during a wash cycle. I had recently changed detergent and feared that was the culprit. I tried several different things before I finally called the repair man since our year warranty was about to expire. The very helpful Maytag man came and showed me how to service my washing machine and pulled out these guys. They were all waded up together, stuck in the filter of the drain. I recognized what they were immediately and left them all waded up, mortified that my nursing pads (by-the-way, I finished nursing Isla in March) caused this whole problem. Since they had been in there awhile...well, let's just say odoriferous sums it up. There was nothing to be salvaged. I just chunked them.
Lesson: Not taking the time to put nursing pads in a laundry bag is just laziness and ends up causing problems in the long run.
Well, at least I know, now, how to check the thing myself.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Beautiful fabric! Those curtains must look great with those throw pillows. It amazes me how much Blasen was able to accomplish even with that sore thumb that hasn't finished healing yet! Hope time passes quickly so that you can enjoy having him home again soon. Wonderful job on all your culinary creations. And who knew that something so small could create such a problem in your washer?! That's good that your warranty wasn't up yet. Thanks for the laughs and for sharing some of your good news.

darinangel said...

You can call it a pie chimney. The pie looks great and I would love some of those green beans. Yummy. I had my first canning session last year and I think I will venture to green beans soon. I always loved my Grandma's canned green beans. So good.