Monday, June 28, 2010

A Note of the Spiritual

This is a post that's been running around in my head for a while now. Several months ago, I actually got to sit in Sunday School AND pay attention to the lesson for almost the entire time. Can you believe it? Talk about miracles. Anyway, the lesson was on the children of Israel post-Moses era, therefore, Joshua is now in charge. They are preparing to go into Jericho, but they must first cross the Jordan river. By this point in the Old Testament, one may think..."Geez guys, you've seen all these other miracles, if not seen then heard from someone who did see. Why can't you have faith that what the Lord says will happen, will actually happen?"
Now that I'm not so young and naive anymore, I realize (here comes the whole point of these stories) that I too do the same thing. Granted the Lord isn't asking me to cross seas or rivers or invade someone else's land. Could you imagine?
So, the children of Israel, once again prepare themselves to do the unimaginable. Joshua, in one of my all-time favorite scriptures tells them..."Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you." Josh. 3:5 And apparently they do. The priest, baring the ark of the covenant, step into the rushing waters of Jordan, and the river stops flowing...not only that but the river bed is even dry.
What faith! This story always makes me think a quote from President Packer, the apostle. Well, I guess it is something that Harold B. Lee once told him. He said: 'You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then the light will appear and show the way before you’.
This is what the children of Israel did...what we must do also in our lives. But where did they find the strength, courage, faith? The same place we do...our Savior.
Which brings me to my next connecting train of thought. There's this song. By Lifehouse. I really like it and once I listened to all the words, they took on a new meaning.
Here is a live version of the song...take from it what you will.





To me, however, the story of the children of Israel, the quote from Boyd K. Packer, and the song are all related to me. We are asked to do hard things sometimes. We may feel like we've been asked to cross a river or step into the dark or that we are barely breathing. Regardless of the task at hand, the Savior is there. He'll help us hold on or whatever else we need to do. You may not believe that, but I do.
Not sure if that's the meaning Lifehouse wanted me to get out of their song, but that's how I see it.
Like I said, just some thoughts that have been floating in my head and needed to get them out. Hope it makes sense and you can follow my random train of thoughts.

4 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

That's great. Thanks.

Jennie said...

I thought almost the exact same things as I was listening to that lesson a few weeks ago. It is so easy to judge the Children of Israel, but I'm EXACTLY like them. Ugh, frustrating! =)

Jeni said...

Lifehouse always brings back sweet college memories. Great post. I say I'm going to read the Sunday school lesson every week now that I'm back in Primary, and um, yeah. I never do. One of the many things I wish i did better. Thanks for the recap and your thoughts!

Kathleen said...

Sara, you have no idea how much your epiphany has touched me this morning. Thank you for your example of seemingly unwavering faith. I looked up to so much in the mission and I still do.