Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Incredible Edible Egg

I know, I know...most are not going to agree with me here, but I love hard boiled eggs. They actually sounds gross. And I actually only go through phases where I really love them. Like right now. Maybe I'm craving more protein, because I find that I don't eat a lot of meat here. I actually enjoy all types of eggs: hard boiled, scrambled, fried, even poached (in milk only please).
The funny thing is that I never really knew the exact science of boiling the perfect egg. In the past I've always guessed when I think it should be done. That means sometimes I get a good egg, sometimes it's over done, and sometimes the yolk a little runny still.
So I decided to find out how to make the perfect egg...and guess what, I found it. It's quite simple and I've tried to make it difficult all these years. Put your eggs in cold water, covered. Place on the heat and bring to boil. Boil for 1 minute, then turn off heat and cover. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Drain water and rinse with cold water several times. I find that I have to let my eggs sit for several minutes in cold water before I peel them, as the egg white tends to peel off with the shell if not. I read that the fresher the egg the more likely they are to do this. (I figured our eggs are pretty fresh. As I buy them like you would buy produce in the grocery store. I pick out the ones I want from these large cartons and put them in a plastic bag to have weighed. It's a clue too they're pretty fresh as some still have poop and feathers stuck to them.) So let your eggs sit for a few minutes in cold water before peeling. I prefer to mush them up with a fork and add salt and eat them with buttered toast. I know you're thinking this is gross, but it's so good. Just try it, try it and you may. Try it and you may, I say. (thanks Dr. Seuss) They're really good when they're still warm.
If you're making them for Easter eggs, you can store them in the fridge to cool. But be sure to put in plastic container, as they do tend to smell.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I love boiled eggs! What I don't like is deviled eggs. I think there is a reason they were named after the devil. I just can't take them...just the smell of poot before you eat it is bad enough. The the smell of poot after you eat them is worse...LOL! Danny loves them...you see where I'm going. HA! Anyway, I do love hard boiled eggs and salt!

Rachael M. said...

I'm not one for plain boiled eggs (unless they're chopped up on a salad) but I go through phases where I could eat a dozen deviled egg halves...yum. And I've been trying to eat more eggs as my Bradley method instructor has told us that eggs are the best protein and we should eat TWO a day. She said when you're pregnant, you create some sort of enzyme that combats the cholesterol or some such thing that keeps eggs from being superunhealthy. So, peeps who are pregnant or will be in the future, eat up!

You can test how fresh the egg is by putting it in a glass of water. If it sinks - it's fresh. If it floats, bleh.

But I'm glad you posted this because I'm too scared to make my own boiled eggs to devil!

Cheyenne said...

We used to eat egg salad sandwiches all the time growing up and Aubrey's family is crazy for hard boiled eggs in anything and deviled eggs. You do have to do it just right, though, or they end up soft boiled or green. Green doesn't change the taste, I just don't like it 'cause it's not perfect. My dad used to make us egg sandwhiches like this: he's scramble egg with a little bit of milk in a bowl and then cook it in the microwave. Then he'd put it between two pieces of toast, sometimes with a little mayo. I could never buy my eggs like that. I've actually been around chickens. Nasty. My mom used to bring us fresh eggs when we lived in NE and I fed them to Aubrey. I won't even bake with them. Weird, I know.

Are You Being Messerved said...

I'm a scrambled egg kinda girl. But I will have to say that mashed up boiled eggs sounds tasty. I'll have to try it!!

Jennie said...

As my family well know, I do not eat eggs. Bluh, gross. I am hoping that that will change when our chickens start laying (in about a month or so). Hoping but not counting on it.

tracyp said...

I love all eggs! Scrabbled, deviled (my fav), over easy, hardboiled.. etc, good on ya!

nbarnes2 said...

thought of this http://www.designmom.com/2008/10/how-to-peel-egg.html when i saw your post.

Rachael M. said...

Dang - I wish we lived closer to Jennie, cause I'd buy my eggs from her instead of Publix!