Sunday, October 5, 2008

For Whom I am Named

In the Book of Mormon, there's a passage of scripture where a father spoke to his sons of their names. "...and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good." -Helaman 5:6
This leads up to a book I read last week called Sarah, Women of Genesis, by Orson Scott Card. I've know of this author for years now, as he was in the same ward as a college friend from Greensboro, NC. She had originally told me about him and his books. So, finally, after years I had the opportunity to read one of his books. It was available in our church's branch library and I thought I'd read it.
Warning, this is a historical fiction, meaning the author took the information available on Sarai/Sarah and Abram/Abraham and added some stuff he felt might go in there too. In no way does this replace the accounts of this story found in the sacred scriptures.
Howecer, it was interesting reading the story from this perspective. I've always loved the story of Abraham and how faithful, obedient, etc he and Sarah both were. And since I was named for her, she's always held my interest.
The author, in his notes, pointed out how the Bible is unlike any other book written at it's time. There are no other books/manuscripts from that time period that mentions women as much as the Bible does. The scriptures just aren't stories of great men, but the women that surrounded them. We can learn much from great couples like Abraham and Sarah or individuals like Job or Ruth and Naomi.
How do we learn from them? Someone pointed this out to me just a week or so ago. When we hear or read the story, it's not just for us to say "Hmm, nice story." It's for us to see these people as they are...people just like us, but in a different time. That is when we can learn why the story is there in the first place.
I just hope that it can be said and written of me one day that I was good and someone would want to be named for me and all the other wonderful women named Sara.
Just a side note, my name comes from the spelling found in the New Testement...no "h".

9 comments:

Jeni said...

Someone already HAS been named for you. And her name is Sara Katherine. :) And don't feel bad if you never want to name a girl you may have Jennifer or Michelle. There weren't any righteous Jennifer's or Michelle's in the Bible, and my mom, so tired after my delivery and thinking I was going to be a boy just told my dad to pick a name. Dad's choice was "Halsey Ann" (isn't that terrible?), and thank heavens my sister saved me; but in so doing, I got the two most common girl names in America in 1980. Jennifer. Michelle. Borrrrring. Yawn. I like Sara Katherine much better.

Sara said...

Thanks Jeni. Let's just hope I'm a good example for Sara Katherine. And just because you're not in the Bible, doesn't mean there aren't good Jennifer's or Michelle's. If I'm ever so lucky as to have a girl, we'll have to see. Blasen assures me we're only having boys as girls are too complicated.

Emily said...

I was named after Emily Dickinson and I love her poems. No one has been named after me and if I never have a girl no one will be. Jan might just stop with me! Moving on, that makes me sad! Anyway, you have so many people who love you and will remember you and your wonderful name. I am definitely one of those people!

The Thomas Family said...

Weeeelllll... you're last note made me change the nature of my comment! :)
No, I love our name! avec ou sans!

Jennie said...

Well, since we are all sharing the etmology of our names I'll share, too!
Even though I always joke about how country my name, Jennie Lee, sounds I really love it. The reason being that I was named after Granny's middle name - Jeanette and Grandma's middle name - Lee. Both of these are righteous women who lived w/o the benefit of the gospel but raised children who recognized the truth when they heard it. As I raise my children (with the gospel)I remember their examples and yearn for the time we can all be together again.
PS Sara Kate, Emily Jan, Lacy Catherine, and Elizabeth Marie your grandmothers would be proud of all of you! (as a big sis I know I am)

Anonymous said...

sara, i love those books i have read all three and they are great. i have them too if you want to borrow them when you come back.

Cheyenne said...

Well, I share names with the daughter of my dad's best friend from high school...the one he got into all the trouble with...What do you suppose that says? I don't know. But, I take my family name very seriously and gave Olivia my great-grandmother's name for a middle name (Tynni). The heritage passed down in family names is very important to me and I want Olivia to always be reminded of who she is and where she came from.

Sara said...

Heather-I'm glad I found someone with those books. I'll definitely borrow the others when I get home.
Love all the comments on names.

Heather said...

i totally share you interest with forks. i started those a week ago and i have about 100 pages left in book two. i don't want to take care of kids cook dinner clean my house, etc... i am so addicted