Sunday, October 12, 2008

Back It Up Now

So, I've learned a hard lesson last week. It all started when what my father refers to as "the blue screen of death" appeared on the computer. I was typing away at one of my projects. I decided to put all my recipes on 4x6" cards and would start with all the random sheets of paper and scraps that I've collected over the years. I hadn't realized how many that was until I started working on it. I think I had almost 150 recipes typed up and I still have a ton to do.
I say "had" because they may all very well be gone now. "The blue screen of death" referring to the fact that our hard-drive on our computer crashed. As I said, I was just typing away and all of a sudden everything was wrong and the computer started making a noise that it shouldn't. As the naive, non-computer literate person that I am, I hope that I could just turn it off and miraculously turn it back on several hours later and all be well. Oh was I wrong.
Now we have a new hard-drive and Blasen's having issues with uploading new software. Meaning, I have no internet at home. I'm on one of his office computers right now, hoping that ours will be restored shortly.
I'm saving that old hard-drive in the hopes that my brother-in-law, Danny, or my Father and his fellow employees can work their magic and save those recipes. Not only do I not want to retype all that, but...I threw them away. Gasp! Yes, I finished them and thought "I don't need them again." And the idiot that I am, I didn't back anything up. I even have my jump drive with me, so I could back stuff up, like my loving husband reminded me several times.
Moral of the story...back it up, back it up, back it up! Let's just pray that I can salvage something off the old hard-drive.
Note also, that I may be absent a few more days from blogging. I'll take notes and come up with some interesting blog topics....like the argument Blasen got in with a lady in McDonald's the other day and I didn't realize what was going on until afterward because I don't speak Chinese. And Blasen thinks I embarrass him in public!
'Til next...remember to back it up.

4 comments:

Ben Muldrow said...

HEy, I have an external case you guys can use to plug that old drive in, I think that you should be able to get a good bit of the data off, we had the same thing happen with rachael machine a while back!

Emily said...

Danny says if you go ahead and mail him the drive he could have it done before you get home. But that is up to you guys! I'm sorry about the recipes. And I have to hear the stories about McDs and what in the world is Blasen talking about you embarrassing him? Does he need a Ford girl whoop down? Anyway, call me soon. I have lots to update you on too!

mcamp said...

I totally need to hear about the fight at McDs.

Cheyenne said...

Sara, I almost cried for you. I tried to do that one time, too. I ended up stuffing them all in the same folder. Hope you get it fixed!