Monday, September 15, 2008

Zoo or Freak Show

The waterfall at the entrance.

The main gate to the park.

Saturday we went back to the big park we visited about a month or so ago to visit the zoo there. The only way I got out of it the first time we were there was telling Bliss all the animals were sleeping because it was their nap time. It actually was Bliss's nap time...and it was burning hot. So, we headed over to the gigantic park. We were very surprised to find what we did.
When we first entered there was a monkey habitat, sort-of like monkey island of the old Birmingham Zoo, for all those that remember those days. There are no rules about feeding the monkeys, so some of the monkeys were a little obese. There was one poor monkey that had severely deformed back legs and seemed to use only his front legs. It was sad.
We made our way to the other exhibits and as I saw the housing for the animals, I began to fear for our safety. There were supposed to be lions and tigers and these cages did not look to be the best. In the first set of animals after the monkeys were some mountain goats, miniature horses, camels, deer, and a cow. All the animals seemed to be crowded in the cages. Our favorite, and definitely more a part of the freak show, was the cow. We get over to the cow and we were befuddled. We look again and realize that this poor cow has an extra leg growing out of it's back! It was actually two legs, one growing out of the one attached to his back. It was just weird to see in the zoo.


My other "favorite" area was the peacocks. They had a very large cage with about 40 peacocks. I've never seen so many in my life. The crazy part was that none had their tail feathers. I'm sure they were plucked and sold. I don't put it pass them. I can't think of any other reason 40 male peacocks would not have any tail feathers!


Other bothersome things were the parrots that were chained to their perches, so they wouldn't fly away.


And the poor hippo that had no water in his pool. I'm thinking, the thing lives most of his life in the water and you have no water for him in his pool! Where's PETA when you need them? Blasen and I have never been big fans of PETA. We feel they are more eco-terrorist than anything(please no hate comments), but this is somewhere they could do good. Granted, they are not allowed in China. You aren't allowed to demonstrate in China without the government's permission.
There is a place in the lake that you can feed the fish. Here are Bliss and I feeding the carp. You think they have a few too many? The fish will literally get on top of one another to get the food, even if they are totally out of water. It's crazy to watch them!

Meal time.

Bliss and me feeding the fish.

An entry to the bridge to go feed the fish.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

What a horrible zoo! I'm totally not surprised though. Good thing the kids are too young to remember that trip or realize what they were seeing.

Elizabeth said...

What a crazy and horrible zoo!!! That poor cow has its twin out of its back, poor thing...boy PETA would really have a field day with that zoo, for sure! And they throw such a fit over how we treat animals here in America! Ha!

Unknown said...

that's gross.