
Blasen is out of town on business and we're hoping that his flight isn't canceled due to the storm. Zade is sick, but getting better...no fever today, just stuffy. It goes right along with the yucky weather. I'm tired today. I couldn't sleep last night for some reason. It's weird not having Blasen here, for one, and then the winds were so loud and the doors to the stairwells don't close all the way so they banged the whole night.
Just a note on the milk situation here. Not sure if you're following it or not, but we're having a bit of a milk problem here in China. Some genius decided that it would be a good idea to put melamine (yes, the same stuff that was found in the pet food that killed all those animals) in the milk powder here. Apparently, when tested it shows a higher protein content. So, this genius/group of geniuses don't think that plastic might just not swing well with the human body. After all, it did kill animals already. What is apparent is that they didn't care and that is what irks me. They were looking for a way to make more money by spending less money and didn't care if they hurt someone. The people getting hurt are actually children. Several have died and many more are sick with kidney stones and other related illnesses. I thought we were okay, because I bought fresh milk. But then we realize that here they actually mix milk powder and water in with the fresh milk. So, no more milk for right now until things get straightened out. And to top it all off, the Chinese government allegedgly knew about this problem before the Olympics, but didn't say or do anything about it because they didn't want to look bad.
I'm all for finding a better/cheaper way to make a product...that's called business. But doing it at the risk of the consumer is not right. We, as the consumer, have faith in the manufacturer to do what is right. I understand that accidents happen, but this was no accident. I have to trust the people that bring me food. I can't grow it all myself. I have a feeling the Decatur Historic Association would not approve of a milk cow in my backyard. I sure hope that the US dairy industry has more moral fiber than to do something like this. I guess that was something that really bothered me. I just feel like the people that thought this up have no conscience...and that's scary.
So let's hope that we get milk soon. Ol' Bliss loves him some cereal! So day 3 of the Week of Bliss is a bit of a downer...but we watched The Land Before Time, so it's all good.
4 comments:
I had heard about the milk now that I'm addicted to CNN! Be safe and we love you!
I love that movie. always have.
Yikes! Yeah, good thing you know all the details on that--I had no clue. I've been out of the loop for like 3 years, I better do something about it.
I read about the kids. Grr...China...I had no idea that it was the manufacturer who was doing it...I guess I just assumed it was some nutso. Seriously, though, they had to use melamine? You'd think that with all the hype even con artists would go green and try to use something organic.
so im not much of a blog reader. i just look at pictures mostly. but your blog i just love reading. everything sounds so exciting. i love how bliss thinks everying red/yellow IN CHINA is mcdonalds. ah that would make life so grand if it were so. also kudos to being a quick thinker under pressure. i normally just cry which isn't the best way to save a boy!
Post a Comment