Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Day 2 of the Week of Bliss


I normally blog about our weekend adventure. No Saturday adventure this past week. We decided to take the day off. Blasen works all the time and Sunday really isn't a break for us these days, so I figured good ol' Dad needed a rest from being on the go. We just chilled at the apartment and played all day with the kids and topped the evening off with a trip downstairs to the ritzy Pizza Hut. Way nicer than any I've ever seen.
Sunday, however, is always an adventure. This Sunday was more so than normal. Our travel for Sunday consists of many modes of transportation, one of which is the subway/metro. Bliss usually sits in the umbrella stroller and Zade is with Blasen. This Sunday, Zade fell asleep on the way to church and we put him in the stroller before we got on the metro. On the way in, Blasen grabbed a newspaper and Bliss was determined to read along with him. Blasen finally gave the paper to Bliss right before we got off the metro. Bliss decides to read and walk...not a good idea. There is a small gap between the landing and the metro and somehow Bliss manages to fall in this gap. Thankfully, during a crisis, I think clearly and rationally and don't panic for some reason. I knew I had just a few seconds to get him out before the doors would close and the metro would take off. Bliss doesn't just get his foot stuck, he gets both feet stuck and is down to his waist. I pull him up, one foot out, can't get the other I need to turn it. Thankfully, a man sees what's happening and comes to help...which is very odd here. You never see someone stop to help someone else. We saw a lady get hit by a motorcycle and noone goes to help her. So this man helps me get his foot unstuck. You probably wonder where Blasen is. It all happened so fast that he barely realized what was going on. It was seriously like slow motion. I'm so glad that I caught him before he got any further down the gap. Like I said the scared part didn't come until after it was all over and done with.
Thankfully Bliss survived to see his 3rd birthday! We had a fun-filled day yesterday. We watched Scooby-Doo and Horton Hears a Who. We even went to McDonald's for dinner. Dad had to work late, but the boys and I walked down to the McDonald's with the indoor play area. We even got ice cream. Blasen got home earlier than expected, so that was nice. No cake yet, but soon. Blasen is out of town today and tomorrow, so maybe this weekend we'll do the birthday thing.

Playing at McDonald's.
Today he got to talk to Pa and Ma Archibald along with Talli, Solomon, Cheif and Sarene. He was totally excited that someone called him. Then this afternoon I made a brownie mix in the rice cooker. It did okay...it was edible I guess. (Blasen's boss and co-worker are here and they brought us some American goodies.) Unfortunately, with all the fun, there is a down side. Poor Zade woke up with a cold this morning. He's been moping around all day and really would like his Dad. He's had a fever on and off all day and a runny nose and his little eyes are swollen. He's not sleeping very well, just two short naps today. He's determined to play like he normally does, but really is just wandering around whining. I feel so sorry for the little guy...he's never sick.
I look forward to what else happens in the Week of Bliss. Definitely not cooler weather. It's still blazing hot and humid here, while I see back home it's in the low 80s during the day and in the 50s at night. That would be so nice!

Zade enjoying the benefits of the Week of Bliss.

1 comment:

Rachael M. said...

After seeing an episode of a crime drama from a few years ago where a guy (who is now on Law and Order: Criminal Intent) gets pushed as he's coming off the subway into the gap and the subway starts to move and the horrible ending to that show, this story about Bliss scares me to death. I'm glad you thought quickly and clearly! That is where I'm afraid I will fail as a mom!

I'm enjoying the "week of Bliss." This is sweet and hilarious. I also like how he's throwing a "Westside" looking gang sign in his McD's picture. :-D