Friday, August 29, 2008

Beauty Mark

I thought I would share some other Chinese culture stuff that Blasen and I were discussing last night. Every culture/country is different on what they consider desirable when it comes to appearance. We, as Americans, hold fashion and style near and dear to our hearts and see it as a reflection of who we are. This includes everyone, I don't care your argument. The French (the only other culture I've been able to study) were a bit ahead of us in style. I saw the things they wore become popular in the States about a year after I got home. But it's fun to see what different people find as appealing. Some think your "natural" scent is more appealing. That's found world over. I've yet to run across anyone whose "natural" body odor is appealing. That includes me. And why do some of our more, um, "earthy" friends find Patchuli so appealing? It just reminds me of Josh Deason now and dirt.
On to the Chinese...
They too have their thing. I witnessed one the other night and it actually made me want to vomit. Not sure why I had this reaction, but anyway. When I was at Wal-Mart waiting on the cross-stitch lady to finish, this young couple in their early 20's passed by, stopping briefly to look at us white folks with 2 small children. As the guy passed me I noticed he has this large mole on the side of his face. Maybe the size of a pencil-top eraser. You say, "Sara, that's not bad...it's a beauty mark." But let me finish. This think had about 5-6 hairs growing out of it about an inch long!! That's the part that got me. Ugh. Who does that? Gross.
I asked Blasen about it last night and we had a good laugh. He says they see it as a sign of wisdom. I would think if you were smart, you'd pluck those things out and consider having the mole removed permanently. Blasen goes on to gross me out even further by suggesting it would fun to run your fingers thru when making out. Double ugh!!
The other appearance thing that gets us is that most men have long fingernails. And I men long. It's sort-of freaky. It makes me thing of druggies with their long pinky nail.
We had a good laugh. And don't think me prejudice or anything. I'm completey aware that we Armericans have our weird things to. Like who ever thought the mullet or rat-tail hairstyles up. Which the rat-tail is alive and well with little boys over here. I could go on, but I won't take more of your time.

7 comments:

Rachael M. said...

A) I about spit when I read "which reminds me of Josh Deason and dirt," since Patchuli also reminds me exclusively of Josh Deason and Dirt. I guess because we experienced that together. LMAO

B) This reminds me of the scene in Uncle Buck where Buck goes to the school and tells off the guidance counselor/principal lady with the huge hairy mole on her face. But first he's so astonished by it, he introduces himself as, "Buck Melonoma - Moley Russell's wart."

HA HA

Katy said...

this post reminded me of this lady that used to come into the credit union i worked at years ago (pre-kids)she had hair on her chest and would always keep her shirt unbuttoned enough so you could see it. we called her she-wolf. but maybe she was just culturally more advanced than the rest of us. i guess i'm still behind the times; i agree with you!! by the way, jesse had the biggest, fattest, blondest, curliest mullet that the 80's ever saw. i'll have to post a pic of that on my blog. i'm sorry this comment is so long.

The Thomas Family said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is hilarious. I was in CHina for a while and remember the long finger nails but the mole thing is pretty nasty. The question for Chinese girlfriends is how do you run fingers through 4 or 5 strands of inch long hair?

Sick.

tracyp said...

You know I was just sitting here enjoying my wonderful cookie dough/cookies having a great night and now I want to vomit.... I will probably have dreams now with hairy moles attacking me in my sleep... Please have more fun variations on cultural differences next time! :)

Caroline said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Jennie said...

Holy cow! I had not thought of Josh Deason for years! Patchuli also reminds me of dirt, probably because all of the nasty people that like it also do not bathe or wash their skanky hair and that is the only scent strong enough to cover it up.
Rachael, love the Uncle Buck reference. It's one of my favorite movies.
Blasen is a freak! I mean, running your fingers through mole hair, sick!

Are You Being Messerved said...

Okay, so I was reading this blog just now and dying of laughter with the guys looking at me like I'm crazy. I can totally picture you at the store with the nasty mole man!!! Blasen is such a dork, but he's hillarious!! I like your page, the game was great!! We watched it at our friend Allen's apartment on his big screen! I couldn't believe that John Parker Wilson actually played football!! It was a mirical!! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your time over there. I can't wait to go to Thailand and experience a new culture!! Love you, oh could you help me make a pretty background for my blog?? That'd be great. I know you did Jennie's and it looks amazing!! Love you and I'll put pictures up tonight for sure!! Tell the kids I said hi and love them!!