Monday, July 28, 2008
I Know a Noodle Man, He Owns a Noodle Stand...
So have you ever seen this done? I could watch all day. How do that do that? I'm like a kid watching a magic show. I've seen this done once before on Martha Stewart of all places. If you don't know, he's making noodles. He just keeps twisting the dough and folding and all of a sudden it's tons of small noodles. They throw them in boiling water for a few minutes and voila...noodles. Isn't that AMAZING?! These noodles are more common among those in central China according to Blasen. This family is from somewhere in central China, I can't remember the province. I guess that most of the chinese from this area are muslim. Blasen says the religion is part of the "show" but whatever. I don't care what they do...but those noodles are YUMMY. I eat them at least twice a week. I've gotten their lamb and chicken ones. It's sort of scary to think that they are actually cooking outside at all, but the taste makes up for it. Nothing like a little smog to add flavor! And for a bowl that is more than enough for me, with meat and veggies and "fried" like I like them, costs only $1.50. China is the place for my cheap self. Another thing I love about these are they don't make me sick...as opposed to everything else that I eat here. At first, I tried to avoid foods that made my IBS kick in, but then I decided it didn't seem to matter what I ate. So I just make sure we're close to home so I don't have to use the public bathrooms. They remind me of urinals sunk down in the ground that somehow you are suppose to squat over and actually not fall in or get mess all over yourself. My long legs are not benefical when it comes to squatting to take care of businees. Now I know why some many women wear dresses. Besides the heat, it helps in the squatting department. Who wants wets pants, because "it" decides to come out at an angle.
So, how I got from the art of noodle making to wet pants, I don't know. Just one more note on squatting. Can you squat flat-footed? I tried and I can't. Have you tried? Try and see. The Chinese are masters at it...they can "sit" like that for hours. Well, I hope you enjoyed my noodle guy story. This is definitely one thing I will miss when we go. I may actually go there tonight? Hmm. Sounds good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I could never squat to go. I'd pee all in my shoes, or worse! Did you see the pics the kids drew for Bliss on our blog? I thought he'd like to see, too. love ya!
I CAN squat without standing on my tiptoes, but it's not exactly comfortable or the most stable feeling. And definitely not if I'm wearing anything other than a very flat shoe.
Mmm..noodles! You should come back to AL and open a noodle stand in Decatur!
acutally i can squat flat-footed, even at my current weight, which is surprising. since i started doing yoga, i've gotten much better at it. it's one of those surprising things i can do, kind of like ice skating. who would think i would be good at either of those things? i think i may have my next baby squatting flat-footed. why not have gravity help? :)
I can't squat flat footed cause the boys assume I'm playing tackle football and run at me full speed. I'd rather dig my own little whole if I had to go like that. I just think of the public bathrooms here...there floors are dirty enough. Just think if you miss the whole in the ground! YUCK! As far as having kids that way...as of right now I'm trying to figure out how to just make them magically appear outside the uterus. I don't know? :)
I am so glad you have this blog. It is so neat to read about your experiences in China and what a neat way for you to look back. It sounds like you are making a lot of memories. I know it is probably challenging too. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this with us. Have fun and be safe! Love your apartment!
i found your blog in random click. But i love this post about yummy noodle from chinese muslim.
:)
Keep eating delicious and yummy
Post a Comment