Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ni Hao


Lots has been going on lately. I always make an excuse as to not having enough time to write. I've taken Rachael's advice and made a list of "interesting" things that go on in my world. Blasen left for China last week and comes home at the end of next week, so we've been off exploring the world. No, we just went to grandparents's to visit for a few days. We first did the Ragland folks, then on to Tuscaloosa. Bliss was ready to come home to our house by the end of the week... and so was I. We did get to see Brisa when we were in Tuscaloosa with the Archibald's. She was home as a surprise for Spring Break. It was good to see her and spend some time together with family.
It looks like China is going to get to experience the Archibald family. This should be interesting. We are planning to be moving over to Foshon, in southern China, at the end of June for 6 months. I would say my biggest worry is getting lost. Blasen assures me it's a "small town" for China standards, i.e. population 3million. Foshon is just next to Guangzhou which is northwest of Hong Kong. Apparently there are lots of manufacturers located there and that's where his company has an office. I always said I would never buy one of those harness things for children, but I'm seriously considering getting one for Bliss. He would leave me in a heartbeat! I may be able to pick him out of the crowd though?! There are lots of unknowns on my part, but I'm up for the adventure. The plane ride over alone should be loads of fun. It's about 23 hours depending on how you go. This last trip of Blasen's, his flight from Atlanta to Shanghai was 16 hours. What do you do with children for that long?
An update on the passport....they do send them back with two holes punched thru the cover. The new passports are way nicer than the old ones. There's a thicker cover and nice drawings on each page. Blasen's jealous, because he hates his picture. Even the customs guys make fun of his picture! I laugh just thinking about it. We're still waiting on the boys' passports. And the lady at the passport office liked our homemade pictures way better than ones people actually paid to have made. Go Blasen! Zade looks disgruntled...which may be a great indicator as that identify him after we get to China.

10 comments:

nbarnes2 said...

Hey I never knew you blogged! I just found this on Cheyenne's blog so I thought I'd say hello. Way exciting yet scary about moving though.

The Thomas Family said...

WHOAA! Sara, that is so cool and I am glad you are doing it. Some things may be hard, like getting over there and at the beginning but it will be so worth it! What a great memory for your family.
The plane ride would be my fear... seriously, what do you do with a toddler for 20 hours?!?! Well, you know they'll fall asleep some time and hopefully the other passengers are really nice!

Mike Pulley said...

Just to ease your fear, my friend went to Germany from UT and their son slept the ENTIRE way. Granted he was only 18 mo at the time but see there is hope (and dramamine). What an exciting opportunity!! I'm glad you got your passport back and Thad isn't having to write you in the state Pen

Cheyenne said...

I just have one piece of advice...STAY AWAY FROM HONG KONG! Blasen scoffs at me, I know, but I am seriously afraid of China and will never visit. It is super exciting for you, though. We could never do anything like that...stupid dogs...

Emily said...

Sara, that is too funny about Zade's picture! He has been a little grumpy lately but he is still a sweetheart. We will miss you and Danny says this can't become perminent! We are so happy to have your family so close. We will be counting down til you come home! Let us know what we can do for you all.

Debbie said...

Emily told me there was a possibility that you guys might be moving to China for 6 months. I wish I had had a chance to talk to you more at her baby shower. Good luck! I'm sure it will be exciting and scary at the same time! I don't envy your plane trip though. We should have a going away party for you guys ;-)

holley family said...

hey sara, it's noel holley here. what an exciting adventure to go to china! we have some really great family friends in china. they are in shaing hai. i could email them your info and vice versa if you want! they have 5 kids ranging from 4th grade down to preschool i think.

holley family said...

sorry, forgot to finish my thought... happens a lot now. but anyways, she could probably give you some tips and if you guys are near eachother some american company. they're members too, and the sweetest people you could ever dream of getting to know!

Iku ka said...

Dear Sara!
Didn't know that you guys are moving to China for half a year, WOW! yeah i totally understand your concern, probably you will need to get some advices from some american who already lived there. If you guys ever have a chance to come to TW for a short visit, pls keep me posted. I'll take care for everything in your trip.
Wish ya all the best,
love, Joyce

Elizabeth said...

What a cool experience to live in China! I have a friend living in France right now with three small children, and it's been really interesting to follow what she has been doing with the kids and the small condo they have. Can't wait to see what it's like for your family!