Saturday, January 17, 2009

That Darn Jet Stream


Okay...so, I said I would be better with the blogging thing back on US soil. There's just something strange once you change all these time zones. I had great plans for this week and blogging. So, do you want to hear my excuse? It's that dang artic blast/jet stream thingy that's sent me undercover...literally. There are pro's and con's to living in a 100 year old house. Con, your heat pump just can't keep up with sub-freezing temps for very long, especially when there is no insulation in one's 100 year old house in the middle of remodel. It was in the 50's inside on Thursday and I woke up to a wopping 47 on Friday morning. So, I bundled up the kids and went to stores all morning long. I don't think it ever reached 60 inside yesterday. Today was better though after two small electric heaters were purchased. I had enough last night and decided to head over to the cottage and try to warm up with the wall heater over there. I'm sitting there reading for awhile and all of a sudden I hear what reminds me of the ice maker filling with water. Well, that fridge doesn't have an ice maker. I run into the bathroom and the pipe under the sink has busted. I try to turn off the shut-off, but of course it's frozen. I run back to the house and get Blasen and he cuts off the water to the cottage. Exciting stuff. So, today I decide to get something done despite the frigid temperatures. I just add another layer to my already layered clothing. I felt like that little old lady in the old Alabama Power commercials that puts on her coat, hat and gloves to go to bed. Thankfully, I didn't have to wear them to bed...Blasen's my heater, he keeps our bed nice and warm. (And I mean this in a non-sexual way).
Let's hope that the temperature keeps on rising, as well as the jet stream. This way, I can at least try to type something without frozen hands.
Hope everyone else is keeping warm!

4 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I relate well to cold weather and 100+ year-old homes. I used to scrape frost off the inside of my bedroom window in the morning. I thought about you while I was freezing in my 20-year-old house.

tracyp said...

I'm still cold in my 1 year old house but NOTHING like that. So sorry about the cottage. At least I can say from experience that as soon as the remodel is done... it's all worth it. Good luck staying warm and not getting tired of fake shopping to stay busy.

Jennie said...

Isn't it nice that somehow men are heat machines that can keep us frosty ladies warm? K is a heater and Holdyn is a little heater in training. He's always hot and never wants to wear a coat. He'll make some cold girl very happy one day!

Rachael M. said...

I've found my internal thermostat to be VERY wacky these days...we used to keep the house about 65 degrees during the day and 62 overnight. Now I'm freezing even at 70 degrees!

Our heat went out two days before Christmas, so I know what it's like to be in an old house with no heat! I hope it warms up for you soon!!!