Some things I have discovered:
1) you have to be pretty specific with meal planning so you have all the ingredients on hand that you don't normally keep in your pantry. But nothing is set in stone...you can move it around.
2) plan in leftover days. In our house Sundays are leftover days and snacks.
3) try various sources for recipes. I use cookbooks, magazines, and Pinterest, of course.
I use an extra calendar and fill in the days so then I have a record of what we've eaten in the past months. I also mark where I found the recipe.
Here are a few that were winners in our family lately...
1. Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
3. French Bread (I make three from this recipe and stick on in the freezer)